TRING IN 1890


[ Home ] Local History Titles ] Museum Home Page ] Site Search ]

 


 

KELLYS DIRECTORY, 1890.
HERTFORDSHIRE: ENTRY FOR TRING.


TRING is a market town and parish situated on the road to Aylesbury and on the Buckinghamshire border of the county, 7 miles south-east from Aylesbury and 4½ north-west from Berkhamsted, in the Western division of the county, in Dacorum hundred and petty sessional division, Berkhamsted union, Aylesbury count court district, and in the rural deanery of Berkhamsted and archdeaconry and diocese of St. Albans; the town is of ancient origin and stands on a site in close proximity to Iknield Street [Ed. Akeman Street], near which Roman remains have been found. The London and North Western Railway station (31¾ miles from London) is a mile and three-quarters from the town (in the parish of Aldbury) and the Grand Junction canal passes near.  A Local Board of Health was established in February, 1859, consisting of 9 members, and the town is lighted with gas, by a company, from the 1st of October to the 1st of April.

The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone and flint in the Perpendicular style, with features of an earlier date, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a massive embattled western tower containing 8 bells, dating from 1624 to 1882; the interior was thoroughly restored in 1862 and the church partially rebuilt during the years 1880 and 1881, a new clock, chiming the quarters, being at the same time placed in the tower; the restoration, which was finished in March, 1882, cost about £3,500, furnished by voluntary contributions.  The register dates from 1566.  The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £393, with residence, in the gift of J. G. Williams esq. of Pendley Manor, and held since 1881 by the Rev. William Quennell M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford.  Long Marston, formerly a part of this parish, was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1871.  There is a Baptist chapel, with 450 sittings; a Particular Baptist chapel seating 1,000, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, with 100 sittings.

The Market House, situated in the High street, was erected in 1750 and is a building of wood with a tiled roof and iron railings in front.  A market is held on Friday, which in the earlier part of the day is attended by hundreds of women from the neighbouring villages, who obtain their living by making straw plait and meet here the buyers from Luton and other parts; the corn market is also held here at 2 p.m. throughout the year; the fair on Easter Monday and Old Michaelmas Day is still held.  The business of the town consists chiefly in canvas weaving, straw plaiting, silk throwing and weaving and brewing.

The Victoria Hall in Akeman street, erected in 1886, on the site of the former assembly room, built in 1825, is a building of red brick with stone dressings, in the Italian Renaissance style, from designs by Mr. William Huckvale, architect of Tring, and contains on the ground floor a spacious entrance hall, reading room, library and committee room and on the first floor an assembly room 36 ft. by 70 ft. with a platform and seating 500 persons; there is also an audit room: the reading room and library are occupied by the Tring District Working Men’s Conservative club, which has 100 members.  There is a Mechanics’ Institute, founded in 1855, with a library of 800 volumes, reading and other rooms; there are now (1890) 60 members; librarian, Alfred Fincher.

The Dorcas’ Society and Lying-in Institution, established about 1830, is managed by committees of ladies in the town and holds meetings for the teaching of needlework; a trained lady nurse was appointed to the Lying-in Institution in 1884, to attend to the poor in illness, at a cost of about £160 a year, contributed by voluntary subscriptions: there are also a coal club and a district visiting society, both supported by contributions.

The Tring Poor’s Land, formerly consisting of 107A. 3R. 7P, of land and 3 houses, but now sold and the proceeds invested in Consols, produces an annual income of upwards of £180, and is distributed in coal at Christmas.  The other charities, now consolidated, with an income of about £140, are administered under a new scheme from the Charity Commissioners, dated 1884, which allows the application of its funds in several channels for the benefit of the poor and mainly for the encouragement of thrift and independence.

Tring Park, the property and residence of Lord Rothschild, is pleasantly situated amid lovely woodland scenery, with undulating slopes richly timbered on all sides. Lord Rothschild is lord of the manor of Tring, and Joseph Grout Williams esq. J.P. of the manor of Pendley. The principal landowners are Lord Rothschild, Joseph Grout Williams J.P. of Pendley Manor, James Grange esq. and the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford.

The soil, which rests on the lower chalk formation, varies considerably.  The area is 7,625 acres of land and 221 water; rateable value £23,401; the population in 1881 was 56357, including Long Marston and Wilstone, while that of the town only is 4,354.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Tompkins.

LITTLE TRING and TRING GROVE are hamlets.  At Little Tring, 1 mile from Tring, are the Grand Junction Canal Water Works and reservoir; the latter is 405 feet above the sea, being a trifle higher than the summit of St. Paul’s, London; there are 55 locks on the canal between Northchurch and the Thames.

Wilstone is a small hamlet and chapelry of Tring, from which it is 2 miles north-west and 6½ east from Aylesbury.  The village is pleasantly situated in a valley under the hills, on the Aylesbury canal.  The church of St. Cross, built and opened in 1877, but not yet consecrated, is an edifice of flint and brick, in the Early English style, consisting at present of a nave only, seating about 200 persons; the Rev. John Frederick W. Trumpet B.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge, is curate in charge.  Straw plaiting is the principal employment of the females here. There is a small Baptist chapel, seating 120.  The area is 690 acres; the population of Wilstone, with Little Tring and Tring Ford, in 1881 was 563.

POST OFFICE — George Hanwell, receiver.  Letters arrive at 6.50 a.m.; dispatched at 6.10 p.m.; Sunday, 11.10 a.m.  Nearest telegraph & money order office is at Tring.

National School (mixed), built in 1851, for 100 children; average attendance, 76; Miss Alice Goodson, mistress.  Attendance Officer, W. Baines, Tring.


――――♦――――


OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.


POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. [Ed. Money Order, Telegraph Office, Savings Bank] & Annuity & Insurance Office, Western road. — William Rodwell, postmaster.  Letters arrive from all parts at 4 a.m.; from London and the South at 9 a.m. & 3 p.m.; from the North at 3 & 5.40 p.m.; deliveries at 7 &. 9 a.m. 4 & 6 p.m. Dispatches, local country post, 4 a.m.; London, North of England, Scotland & Ireland, 6.30 a.m.; Aston Clinton, Weston Turville & Wendover, 9 a.m.; London & North & South of England, 12.40 p.m.; London, 2 p.m.; London, Berkhamsted & Harrow, South of England & Aldbury, 3.25 p.m.; London, North & South of England, 8.15 p.m.; London & all parts, 9. 45 p.m.; deliveries, Sundays at 7 a.m.; dispatched Sundays at 6.30 p.m.

WALL BOXES, Chapel street cleared at 8.4.0 a.m. 1.30 & 6.50p.m.; New Mill cleared at 7.40 a.m. & 7.15 p.m.; Sunday 11.50a.m.; High street cleared at 8.50 a.m. 12.25 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays 10.15 a.m.; Akeman street box cleared at 7.15 a.m. 1.35 & 7 p.m.; Sunday 7.30 a.m.

――――――――

Local Board.

Offices, High Street; board day first Thursday in every month at 3 p.m.


Members.

Butcher Frederick, Frogmore house, chairmen
Clarke Joseph, Park Hill
Crouch Frederick, Misewell farm
Elliman Thomas Griffin, High street
Glover Thomas, Park street
Grange William Hitchcock, Park farm
Humphrey William Bayman, Park road
Pope Edward, High street
Smith William. Brook street
Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, solicitor, High street
Treasurer, George Butcher
Surveyor, Sanitary Inspector & Collector, William Baines

 

――――――――


PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS :—
Bedfordshire Regiment 2nd (Hertfordshire) Volunteer Battalion (E company), Capt. William S. Jenney, jun. commandant; Rev. Arthur Loxley M.A. hon. chaplain; J. O’Connor, sergeant-instructor.
Vestry, situated at the side of the church, Sergeant Hill, keeper.
Victoria Hall, Akeman street, Thos. Tompkins, proprietor.

――――――――

Public Officers.


Certifying Factory Surgeon & Medical Officer, Aldbury district, Berkhamsted union & No. 2 district, Aylesbury Union, Edward Pope, High street.
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for Tring Sub-District, James Gibbs Jones, 3 Langdon street; deputy, William Hall.
Medical Officer, Tring district, Berkhamsted union, Edwin Joseph Le Quesne M.B. Elm house.
Public Vaccinator, Aldbury district, Berkhamsted union, James Brown M.B., C.M. 23 High street.
Rate Collector, Oliver Amsden, 3 Park street.
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Collector to the Guardians for Berkhamsted Union, John Cook, 18 Park road.
Superintendent of Fire Brigade, Wm. Emery, Frogmore st.
Vestry Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, High street.

――――――――

Places of Worship.


SS. Peter & Paul (Parish) Church, Rev. William Quennell M.A. vicar; hours of service, Sundays 8 & 11 a.m. 3.30 & 6.30 p.m.; holy days 10.30 a.m. & 5p.m.; daily 5 p.m. & services are also held at the chapel of ease & in the New Mill school room on Sundays at 10.45 a.m. 3 & 6 p.m.
Baptist, in Akeman street, Rev. George William Thomas.
Baptist, Akeman street, by supply.
Baptist, Chapel street, by supply.
Baptist, New Mill, Rev. L. R. Foskett, minister, New Mill.
Baptist Chapel & schools, Western road, Rev. G. Pearce, minister.
Primitive Methodist, Langdon street

――――――――

Schools.


National, West End (mixed & infants), built in 1840 & enlarged in 1866, for 550 children; average attendance, 500; Henry Hobson A.C.P. master; Miss Elizabeth Hunt, mistress; Miss Henrietta Hitchener, infants’ mistress.
National, New Mill (mixed), built in 1850, for 150 children; average attendance, 108; Miss Kate Luffman, mistress.
National (infants), King street, built in 1870, for 120 children: average attendance, 86; Miss Minnie Polkinghorne, mistress.
Attendance Officer, W. Baines, Western road.

――――――――


Railway Station, William Wilkins, station master; Frederick Butcher, goods manager
Conveyance. — Omnibus from the
Kings Arms, King street, calling at the Rose & Crown, High street, to Tring railway station, several times daily.

――――――――


Carriers.


AYLESBURY — Crook, from
Bell,’ Thurs.
HEMEL HEMSTEAD — Crook, Wed. returning Thurs.
LONDON — Sutton, from Thomas Jennings’, Henry street, daily, per railway, Sundays excepted.


――――♦――――

TRING.
 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS



Akers John, Mill cottage
Amsden Oliver, 3 Park street
Archer Alfred Herbert, Sunnyside,
    Western road
Barber Benjamin, Akeman street
Brown Frank John, The Laurels
Brown Jas. M.B., C.M. Rose cot. High st
Brown John, 24 High street
Brown William, Beech grove
Budd Alexander, 17 King street .
Butcher Frederick, Frogmore
Butcher Frederick, jun. Tring grove
Butcher George, 20 High street
Butcher Miss, The Laurels
Carr Richardson, Home farm
Christmas John, Henry street
Dawe Mrs. Park road
Daws William, 8 Akeman street
Elliman Mrs. Westcroft
Evans Rev. Wm. [curate], 85 Akeman st
Fleet Mrs. 42 Park road
Foulkes Mrs. Goldfield, Western road
Foulkes Septimus Gifford, Grove lodge
Glover The Misses, Grange vl, Western rd
Glover Thomas, 4 Park street

Gresham Thomas, Park road
Green Mrs. 20 Park road
Gutteridge James, Chapel street
Gutteridge William, Park road.
Hedges Mrs. 55 Western road
Herring Edward, Park road
Hobbs Henry, Belle Vue villa
Hobson Henry Western road
Hockey Mrs. Park road
Honour James, Akeman street
Honour William, Park road
Huckvale Wm. White ho. Western rd
Humphrey Wm. Bayman, 25 Park rd
Jolly John, 54. Western road
Jones Gibbs James, Langdon street
Le Quesne Edwin Joseph M.B. Elm ho
Liddington Seabrook, New mill
Maull Wm. Chas. Prospect ho. Park rd
Mead Thomas, Gamnel
Measham Mrs 34 Western road
Parkes Mrs. High street
Payne Walter, 42 Akeman street
Pearce Rev. Charles [Baptist], 28
Frogmore street
Pope Rev. Arthur Frederick M.A. The
     Furlong
Putman Charles, Park road
Quennell Rev. William M.A. Vicarage

Rothschild The Rt. Hon. Lord, Tring
    park; 148 Piccadilly S. W.; Marlborough
    & Brooks’ clubs S.W; St.
    James‘ club W & City Liberal club,
    London E.C.
Steel Mrs. 35 Western road
Sutton George Edwin G. Grange villas,
    Western road.
Taylor Miss, Nightingale cottages
Thomas Rev. George Wm. [Baptist],
    The Manse, Akeman street
Vaisey Arthur William, Holly field
Waters John Wilson, Hastoe house
Whitchurch James, 53 Western road
Williams Jsph. Grout. J.P. Pendley manor
Williams Miss, Hawkwell
Woodmen Edward, Western road
Woodman Miss, Clifton ho. Frogmore st
Wright Robert, Brook street

COMMERCIAL

Agricultural Association (Frank John
    Brown, hon. sec), High street
Amsden Oliver & Edward, coal merchants,
    Park street
Appleby John, stationer, Akeman st
Archer Job, Britannia inn, Western rd
Archer John, beer retailer, Frogmore st
Ashington William, butcher, New mill

––––

Association for Prosecution of Felons
    (William Huckvale, sec)
Baines William, surveyor, sanitary
    inspector & collector to the local board,
    14 Western road
Baker Henry, beer retailer, Hastoe
Baldwin James, tailor, 18 High street
Barber Alfred, beer retlr. 25 Western rd
Bedfordshire Regiment, 2nd (Hartford-
    shire) Volunteer Battalion (E Company)
    (Captain William S. Jenny, jun.
    commandant.; Rev. Arthur Loxley M.A.
    hon. chaplain; J. O’Connor, sergeant
    instructor)
Batchelor Geo. shopkeeper, Akeman st
Batchelor John, brewer, Akeman street,
    & farmer, Silk Mill farm
Beasley Walter, threshing machine &
    traction engine owner
Bedford Daniel, hair dresser, 27 High st
Beasley Fredk. coal agent, 86 Akeman st
Birch Louisa (Miss), dress ma. 3 Albert st
Bird Ebenezer Charles, printer, stationer
    & bookseller, 6 & 7 High street
Bird Joseph, boot maker, 7 Albert st
Bly Ann (Mrs.), beer ret. Frogmore st
Bly John, marine store dealr. Henry st
Bly Wm. furniture dealer, Akeman st
Boddy Mary (Mrs. ), fruiterer & con-
    fectioner, Akemen street
Booker Ebenezer, fishmonger, High st
Brandon Jn. cabinet ma. Western road
Brandon Thos. shoe maker, Akeman st
Brandon William, boot ma. 20 Park rd
British Workman Cocoa Rooms (Wm.
    Emery, manager), Frogmore street
Brittain Philip, furniture dlr. 34.High st
Brown & Foulkes, land agents, surveyors
    & auctioneers, High street
Brown James M.B. C.M. surgeon &
    public vaccinator for the Albury dist.
    of the Berkhamsted union, 23 High st
Brown John, brewer & wine & spirit
    merchant, 24. High street
Budd Joe. marine store dlr. Akeman st
Bull Charles, baker, Charles street
Burch James, tailor, New mill
Burr Herbert, hair drssr. 5 Akeman st
Butcher Thomas & Sons, bankers, 20
    High street, branches at Aylesbury &
    Chesham, Bucks; draw on Dimedales,
    London E
Carr Richardson, agent to Lord Roths-
    child, High street
Cato Chas. canvas manufr. Charles st
Cato George, canvas manufr. Park rd
Cato John, boot maker, Chapel street
Chapman Alfd. pawnbrkr. 29 Frogmore st
Chapman John, shoe maker, Albert st
Chappell Charles, farmer, Dunsley farm
Cherry James, superintendent at Grand
    Junction Canal Co.’s wks. Bulbourne
Clark James & Son, tailors, Frogmore st
Clark Joseph, farmer, Gamnel & Parkley
    Hill farm
Clement John T. watch & clock maker,
    33 High street_
Cook John, relieving officer & collector
    to the guardians of Berkhamsted
    union & vaccination officer for Tring,
    18 Park road
Cosier James, tailor, Western road
Crawley Henry & Herbert, wheelwrights
    & iron founders, Western road &
    Frogmore street
Crockett John, shopkeeper, 4 Park road
Cross George, tailor, Charles street
Crouch Fredk. farmer, Miswell farm
Darvill James, farmer, Parsonage farm
Darvill Jas. farmer, West Leigh farm
Delderfield Mary Ann (Mrs. ), plaited
    straw dealer, New mill
Delderfield Chas. furniture dlr. Albert st
Edwin Edmund, confectioner, High st
Ellerington Jas. draper, 47 Frogmore st
Elliman Thos. Griffin, draper, High st
Ellis Sl. tailor & outfitter, 87 Akeman st
Ellis Samuel, tailor, 5 Western road
Emery Richd. marine store dlr. New mill
Emery William, brewer, Frogmore st
Fincher Alfred, coal & wood merchant,
    55 King street

Fincher Fk. Wm. seedsmn. 14 Akeman st
Fincher Hy. builder, contractor & brick
    maker, 28 Western rd. & Buckland com
Fincher Wm. painter &c. 38 Albert st
Foskett Harry, boot & shoe maker,
    Frogmore street
Foskett Hrbt. boot & shoe ma. 2 Akeman st
Fossett Richard, boot &, shoe maker,
    Frogmore street
Fulks Ernest Kelsall, drpr. 46 Albert st
Fulks James, farmer, Hastoe
Fulks William, butcher, High street
Gas & Coke Co. (Robert Hedges, sec.);
    office, 8 Parsonage pl.; works, Brooks st
Gates Wm. miller (steam), King street
Glover & Grace, seed merchants High st
Glover Sarah & Ann (Misses), ladies’
    school, Western road
Glover Thomas & Sons, grocers, &
    agents for W. & A. Gilbey, wine &
    spirit merchants, 19 High street
Goodson Thomas & Son, blacksmiths &
    farriers, 54 High street
Gower Hy. shoe maker, 23 Western rd
Gower Jn. china & glass dlr. 57 High st
Gower John, coal dealer, 51 Western rd
Gower Wm. boot maker, 2 Langdon st
Grace R. & A. bakers, Henry street
Grace Edward, baker, Akeman street
Grace Gilbert manufg. ironmngr. High st
Grace Thomas, maltster & corn & seed
    merchant, 15 Akeman street
Grand Junction Canal Water Works &
    Reservoir (Richard Leah, engineer;
    James Cherry, supt. ), Little Tring
Grange Herbert, farmer, Grove farm
Green Herbert John, grocer & beer
    retailer, Akeman street
Green Jn. straw hat manfr. Akeman st
Greening Richard, draper & clothier,
    31 & 32 High street
Griffin Charles, grocer, Frogmore street
Gurney Joseph, beer retlr. Akeman st
Harrison Robt. Robin Hood P.H. Brook st
Hawes Lydia (Miss), shopkpr. 4 Akeman. st
Hedges John & Sons, plumbers & glaziers,
    Parsonage place
Hill Edwin, head gardener to Lord
    Rothschild
Hill Emma. (Miss), dressma. Akeman st
Hinton George, butcher, 31 King street
Hobbs James, stone & monumental
    mason, Western road
Honour James & Son, contractors, brick
    mas. builders & undertakers, Akeman st
Hood William, shopkeepr, 8 Langdon st
Hopcroft Jonah, baker, 26 Western rd
Horn Bethia (Miss), linen drpr, Charles st
Horne Arthur, tailor, 73 Akeman street
Horwood Charles, farmer, Wick farm
Hewlett Thos. shopkeeper, 36 King st
Huckvale William, architect
Humphreys William, boot & shoe maker,
    13 King street
Jeffery Geo. chemist & drugg, 26High st
Johnson Frederic, watchma. Western rd
Johnson Henry fishmonger, 22 High st
Johnson Wm. butcher, 21 High street
Jones Gibbs James, registrar of births,
    marriages & deaths for Tring sub-
    district, 3 Langdon street
Keel Frank, watchma. Frogmore street
Kemp Wm. Royal Oak P.H. Akeman st
Kiff William, florist, Henry street
King John, rope maker, 30 Park road
Kingham Frederick, printer, Brook st
Kingham Henry, farmer, Little Tring
Kingham John, grocer, 9 Brook street
Kingham William, grocer, 45 High st
Knight Driseilla (Miss), boarding school,
    Western road
Knight Edward Craddock, decorator,
    smith, ironmonger, gasfitter, regis-
    tered plumber, mineral water
    manufacturer & stationer, 16 High st
Lanbourne Robt. beer retailer, New ml
Lawson Jsph. Essam, grocer, 25 High st
Leah Richard, engineer to the Grand
    Junction Canal water works, Lit. Tring
La Quesne Edwin Joseph M.B. surgeon
    & medical officer for the Tring district
    of the Berkhamsted union, Elm house

Lewis Joseph, King’s Arms P.H. King st
Liddington Rebecca ( Mrs. ), beer retailer
    & brewer,1 & 2 High street
Lloyd William, The Castle P.H. Park rd
Locke & Smith, maltsters, New mill
Marcham Hy. shopkeeper, 5 Western rd
Marcham Joseph, market gardener &
    seedsman, Brook street
Marsh Frdk. Albt. chemist, Western rd
Maull W. C. boarding school, Park road
Mead Brothers, butchers, Western rd
Mead John, coal merchant, Pendley
    wharf & Tring station
Mead Thos. millr. (wind&steam), Gamnel
Mechanics’ Institute & Reading Room
(Walter Butcher, sec.; Alfred Fincher,
    librarian)
Miller Ann (Miss), The Harrow P.H.
    Akeman street
Nicholson Mary Ann (Mrs. ), draper, 39
    High street
Norris Joseph, Bell inn, & hair dresser,
    37 High street
Osborn David, carpenter, King street
Osborn Wm. baker & shopkpr. High st
Parker George, shopkpr. 6 Akeman st
Parrott Geo. coach builder, Western rd
Parslow John, butcher, Frogmore street
Payne Saml. photographer Albert street
Pearce David, shopkeeper, Akeman st
Pease & Son, corn merchants & hay
    salesmen, High street
Penn John, Plough inn, 50 High street
Philbey Frdk. Queen’s Arms P.H. New ml
Pitkin Charles, saddler & harness
    maker, 30 High street
Pope & Brown, surgeons, High street
Pope Edward, surgeon & medical officer
    for the Aldbury district of the Berk-
    hamsted union & No. 2 district
    Aylesbury union & certifying factory
    surgeon, High street
Price Chas. shopkeeper, 2 Albert street
Procter Jas. shopkeeper, Little Tring
Proffitt Thos. beer retailer, Frogmore st
Prouse & Co saddlers & harness makers,
    10 High street west
Prudames & Archer, veterinary surgeons
    Western road
Putman Ann (Mrs.), baker, Frogmore st
Putman John, grocer, 53 High street
Rance George, painter & decorator, 12
    Langdon street
Rance Henry, butcher, Akeman street
Randall John, shopkeeper, 57 Brook st
Rawlins Harry, painter & paperhanger,
    4 Langdon street
Reeve Joseph, gardener to Frederick
    Butcher esq. Frogmore street
Reeves & Francis, drapers & outfitters,
    28 High street
Rolfe Frederick, boot ma. Frogmore st
Rolfe Hy. coal & coke dlr. 31 Albert st
Rolfe John, baker, 25 Akeman street
Rothschild N. M. & Sons, silk throwsters
    (John Akers, manger), Brook street
Sallery George, butcher, Akeman st
Sallery Samuel, grocer, Akeman street
Sherman Joseph, clothier, 36 High st
Skinner Alfred, shopkeeper, New mill
Smith & Sons carpntrs. & bldrs. Brook st
Smith Dominic, shopkeeper, New mill
Smith James Hanson, umbrella maker,
    32 Akeman street
Stevens George, shopkeeper, 1 Albert st
Stevens Hy. wholesale boot manufr.
    15 High street st & 67 & 69 Akemen st
Stevens Samuel, grocer, Brook street
Stevenson William, shopkpr. Chapel st
Thorn Jabez, Rose & Crown commercial
    hotel & posting house, 13 High st
Thorn Jesse, beer retailer, Akeman st
Thorp Robert & Son, grocers, 42, 43 &
    44 High street
Tomkins Ellen (Mrs), The George P.H.
    & corn dealer, Frogmore street
Tompkins Thomas, ironmonger & tin
    plate worker, 51 & 52 High street
Tompkins Thos. tailor, 39 Western rd
Tring & District Mutual Building
    Society (George Henry Moulting, sec.),
    41 High street

––––

 Tring & District Working Men’s Con-
    servative Club (J. G. Williams esq.
    J.P. president; Thomas Pusey, sec.),
    Victoria hall, Akeman street
Tring Co-operative Industrial & Provi-
    dent Society Limited (Jethro Felix
    Marshall, manager), High street &
    Charles street
Underwood Harry, grocer, 21 & 22
    Charles street
Vaisey Arthur William, solicitor & com-
    missioner for taking oaths & clerk to
    the local board & Vestry clerk, High st
Victoria Hall (Thomas Tompkins, pro-
    prietor), Akeman street
Wade Sarah (Mrs. ), shopkpr. Akeman st
Wallis John, boot maker, 3 Park road
Warren Daniel, insurance agent, 73
    Brook street

West Harts Farmers’ Association (S.
    G. Foulkes, esq. sec), High street
Whitcombe William, temperance hotel
    & grocer, Frogmore street
Wilkins Job, shopkpr. 25 New Mill ter
Woodman Charlotte (Miss), seminary,
    Clifton house, Frogmore street
Woodman John, Green Man P.H. &
    brewer & toll clerk, High street
Wright George, beer ret. Western road
Wright Geo. butcher. 40 Akeman st
Wright James, miller (steam), Hastoe
Wright Jesse, butcher, 14 High street.
Wright Thos. cabinet ma. Charles st
Young Matthew, shopkpr. Henry st
 

WILSTONE

Trumper Rev. John Frederick W. B.A.
    [curate in charge]

COMMERCIAL

Cartwright William, beer retailer
Chappin Robert, boot maker
Goodson Thomas, blacksmith
Grange James, farmer, Manor farm
Greening Joseph, farmer, Chapel farm
Gregory George, farmer
Hanwell George, baker, Post office
Hare Joseph, wheelwright
Mead Thomas, farmer, Gubblecot
Newman William, farmer, Gubblecot
Price Thomas, farmer
Procter William, beer retailer
Reeve James, Half Moon P.H.
Rose Thomas, butcher
Tomlin Joseph, shoe maker
Waring Thomas, hay & straw dealer
White John, baker
Woodman Henry, farmer


――――♦――――

 



[Home] [Local History Titles] [Museum Home Page] [Site Search]

Contacts