TRING IN 1908


[ Home ] Local History Titles ] Museum Home Page ] Site Search ]

 


 

KELLYS DIRECTORY, 1908.
HERTFORDSHIRE: ENTRY FOR TRING.


TRING is a market town and parish on the road to Aylesbury and on the Buckinghamshire border of the county, with a station 1¾ miles distant (and locally in Aldbury parish), on the London and North Western Railway, and 31¾ miles from London; the town is 7 miles south-east from Aylesbury and 4½; north-west from Berkhamsted, in the Western division of the county, in Dacorum hundred and petty sessional division, Berkhamsted union, Aylesbury county court district, and in the rural deanery of Berkhamsted, and archdeaconry and diocese of St. Albans; the Grand Junction canal passes near the town, and has branches to Wendover [Ed.− by now mostly abandoned] and Aylesbury: the town is lighted with gas by a company, from works in Brook street, and supplied with water by the Chiltern Hills Spring Water Co.  The town is sewered on the broad irrigation system.

Under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the Urban portion of the parish is now governed by an Urban District Council of 12 members, formed in 1894, which takes the place of the Local Board established in February, 1859.  In pursuance of the same Act, Tring has been divided into two civil parishes, viz. Urban and Rural, the latter having a Parish Council of 7 members, and comprising Long Marston and Wilstone, which see.

The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone and flint in the Perpendicular style, with features of an earlier date, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a massive embattled western tower containing 8 bells, dating from 1624 to 1882: the interior was thoroughly restored in 1862 and the church partially rebuilt during the years 1880 and 1881: a new clock, chiming the quarters, being at the same time placed in the tower; the restoration, completed in March, 1882, cost about £3,500, furnished by voluntary contributions: in 1900 a rood screen and loft of carved oak were erected, the east end of the south aisle formed into a chapel, and the chancel panelled in oak and decorated, the whole cost being defrayed by a lady resident in the parish: there are 300 sittings.  The register dates from 1566.  The living is a vicarage, with Wilstone annexed, net yearly value £261, and residence, in the gift of J. G. Williams esq. of Pendley Manor, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Henry Francis M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford.  St. Martha’s, in Park road, erected as a chapel of ease to the parish church, is served by the clergy of Tring: there are 120 sittings.  The Baptist chapel in Western road, founded in 1750, affords 450 sittings; there is also a Strict Baptist chapel in Akeman street, seating 850, and one at New Mill, founded in 1655, and having 600 sittings; Ebenezer Baptist chapel, in Chapel street, will seat 300 persons, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel, with 100 sittings.  The Church House, in Western road, erected in 1897, is a structure of red brick, from designs by Mr. William Huckvale, architect, of Tring, and is used for concerts &c.  The Cemetery at the west end of the town, provided in 1894, under the “Public Health (Interments) Act, 1879,” is under the management of the Urban Council: there is one chapel: the area is 4a. 3r. 27p.; but no part of the ground has yet been consecrated.

The Constitutional Club, in the Western road, is a structure of red brick with stone dressings, erected in 1892, at the sole expense of Joseph Grout Williams J.P. of Pendley Manor, from designs by Mr. Huckvale, and comprises a reading room, two billiard rooms, a committee room and the usual offices.  The ancient Market House, in High street, was taken down, and another Market House erected in 1898 on a site presented by Lord Rothschild at the corner of Akeman street and Western road, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, from the designs of Mr. Huckvale; it is timber-framed in oak, filled in with rough cast, and contains a market hall, 41 by 26 feet, with open market place underneath, surveyor’s office, committee and store rooms.  A market is held on Friday, which in the earlier part of the day is attended by women from the neighbouring villages, who make straw plait and meet here the buyers from Luton and other parts; the corn market is also held here at 2 p.m. throughout the year; the fair on Easter Monday and Old Michaelmas Day is still held.  A sale of fat stock is held in the Cattle Market, Brook street, every Monday at 1.30 p.m., W. Brown &, Co. auctioneers.  The business of the town consists chiefly in canvas weaving, straw plaiting and brewing.  The Literary and Scientific Institute, founded in 1849, has a library of 800 volumes and a reading room; there are now (1908) about 31 members.

The Rothschild Museum, erected in 1889, by the Hon. Lionel Walter Rothschild M.P., Ph.D., F.Z.S., consists of the museum itself, containing public galleries and the special collections for scientific research.  The building is a large house of two storeys, access to the upper galleries being obtained by a stone staircase; the museum also contains Mr. Rothschild’s private Natural History collections, but the galleries are open to public inspection on the first three days of the week and on Fridays, and are largely visited; the ground floor is devoted to birds and mammals, and the upper floor to sponges, corals, molluscs, fishes and reptiles; some of the larger mammals and all the antelopes and zebras are also placed there, besides insects and crustaceans.  The collections are now very extensive and are being constantly increased by the labours of collectors in foreign countries; and the arrangement of the specimens is proceeding under the direction of the director and his assistants; the Museum house, which has a bold gabled oriel, contains Mr. Rothschild’s study, curators’ room, library and entomological cabinets; attached is a taxidermist’s and general workshop; Dr. Ernst Hartert is director, and Dr. Carl Jordan curator of the entomological department.

The Tring Nursing Home occupies premises in Station road, presented by Lady Rothschild, and includes an accident ward; it is vested in two trustees and supported by voluntary contributions.  An Isolation Hospital was erected in 1901 by the Urban District Council, and has eight beds.  The Tring Poor’s Land, formerly consisting of 107a. 3r. 7p. of land and 3 houses, has been sold and the proceeds invested in Consols, producing an annual income of upwards of £180, which is distributed in coal at Christmas.  The other charities, now consolidated, and yielding an income of about £140, are administered under a scheme framed by the Charity Commissioners in 1884, which allows the application of the funds specified in it for the benefit, in various ways, of the poor, but is mainly devoted to the encouragement of thrift and independence.

Tring Park, the property and residence of Lord Rothschild, is pleasantly seated amid lovely woodland scenery, with undulating slopes richly timbered on all sides.  Lord Rothschild is lord of the manor of Tring, and Joseph Grout Williams esq. J.P. of the manor of Pendley.  The principal landowners are Lord Rothschild and J. G. Williams esq. J.P.  The soil. which rests on the lower chalk formation, varies considerably.

Sexton, Alfred Cogger, 18 Frogmore street.

The area of Tring Urban parish and District is 4.364 acres of land and 43 of water; rateable value, £24.476; the population in 1901 was 4,349.  The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 4,667.

Little Tring and Tring Grove are hamlets.  At Little Tring, 1 mile from Tring, are the Grand Junction Canal Water Works and reservoir; the latter is 405 feet above the sea, being a trifle higher than the summit of St. Paul’s, London; there are 55 locks on the canal between Northchurch and the Thames.


――――♦――――


OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.


Post Office (head office), at which business of all kinds is transacted, Western road.—Thomas Chuter, postmaster.  Letters arrive from all parts at 4 a.m.; from London & the South at 6.40 & 11.20 a.m. & 3.20 p.m.; from the North at 3.20 8: 5.40 p.m.; London & South, 5.45 p.m.; deliveries at 7 & 9 a.m. & 4 & 6 p.m. Dispatches, local country post, 5 a.m.; London, North of England, Scotland & Ireland, 6.30 a.m.; Aston Clinton, Weston Turville, Wendover, Butters Cross & Princes Risboro’, 8.50 a.m.; London, 9.30 a.m.; London & North & South of England, 12.50 p.m.; London, 2 p.m.; London, Berkhamsted & Harrow, South of England, 3.25 p.m.; Aldbury & Aston Clinton, 4 p.m.; London & North & South of England, 8.15 p.m.; London & all parts, 10 p.m.; deliveries, Sundays at 7 a.m.; dispatched, Sundays at 7 p.m.

Town Sub-Post, M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, King street.—Thomas Howlett, sub-postmaster. Letter Box cleared 8.55 a.m. & 12.25 & 7.15 p.m.; Sundays, 6.45 p.m.

Post & M. O. O., S. B. & A & I. Office New Mill. — Mrs. Mary Mannington, sub-postmistress. Letters through Tring.  Letter Box cleared at 7.45 a.m. & 5.25 & 7.10 p.m.; Sundays, 11.45 a.m.  Tring, 1 mile distant, is the nearest telegraph office.

Wall Boxes: Chapel street, cleared at 8.50 a.m. 12.20, 1.50 & 7.10 p.m.; Sundays, 6.40 p.m.; High street, cleared at 8.40 a.m. 12.25 & 7.30 p.m.; Sundays, 6.15 p.m.; Akeman street, cleared at 7.15 a.m. 12.10, 1.55 & 7.5 p.m.; Sunday, 6.50 p.m.; Tring Station, 8.5 & 11.50 a.m. 2.40, 6.50, 9.30 & 11.15 p.m.; Sundays, 9.40 a.m. & 9.30 p.m.; Brook street, cleared at 7.55 a.m. 12 noon & 7.20 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m.; Tring Grove, cleared at 7.10 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m.; Longfield road, cleared at 8 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.; Sun. 6.35 p.m.

Parcels Post.—Deliveries daily (Sunday excepted), 8.30 a.m. 4 & 6 p.m.; dispatches daily (Sunday excepted), 9.30 a.m. & 2 p.m. (all parts), 6.30 p.m. (London, by road), 8.15 p.m. (all parts), 10 p.m. (all parts).

――――――――

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Offices, Western road.  Meeting day, the first Tuesday in every month at 6.30 p.m.

Members
All retire in April, 1910
Chairman, Richardson Carr.
Vice-Chairman, Herbert Grange.
 

William Newman Mead
Rev. Charles Pearce
Hon. Lionel Walter Roths-
    child M.P
Joseph Grout Williams J .P

Robert William Allison
Bentley Asquith
David Bishop
James Brown
Charles Chappell
William James Dawe


Officers
Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, solicitor, Western road
Treasurer, Walter Butcher esq. J.P. (branch of Union
of London at Smiths Bank Ltd.), The Bank, High st
Medical Officer of Health, William Gruggen L.R.C.P.I.,
L.F.P. & S. Glas., D.P.H. Camb. 67 Durban rd. Watford
Surveyor & Inspector of Nuisances, William H. Thomas,
Market house
Collector, Michael Chadwick, Western road

――――――――

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

Hertfordshire Battalion (F Company), Armoury, Western road;
Capt. & Hon. Major S. William Jenney V.D.;
Color-Sergt. George Ayres, drill instructor

――――――――

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

Cemetery, Arthur William Vaisey, registrar
Nursing Home, Station road, Miss F. C. Girardet, nurse in charge
Police Station, Church lane, Herbert John Baldock, police sergeant
Urban District Isolation Hospital, Little Tring road,
Edwin Joseph Le Quesne L.R.C.P. Lond., M.R.C.S.
Eng. & James Brown M.B., C.M. hon. medical officers;
Miss C. F. Shepherd. matron
Vestry, at the side of the Church, Arthur Busby, keeper.

――――――――

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Certifying Factory Surgeon, Admiralty Surgeon,
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Aldbury District,
Berkhamsted Union, James Brown M.B., C.M. 23 High st
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee of
Berkhamsted Union & to Berkhamsted Rural District
Council, Arthur William Vaisey, Western road
Inspector of Nuisances to Berkhamsted Rural District
Council, William Henry Thomas, Market house
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for Tring Sub-
District, Berkhamsted District, Walter Edwd. Wright,
Western road; deputy, James Clark, jun. Frogmore st
Medical Officer, Tring District, Berkhamsted Union,
Edwin Joseph Le Quesne L.B.C.P. Lond, M.B.C.S. Eng.
Elm house
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Collector to the
Guardians for Berkhamsted Union, John Cook, Springwell
villas, Western road
Superintendent of Fire Brigade, Gilbert Grace, Western rd
Vestry Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, Western road

――――――――

PLACES OF WORSHIP
with times of services.

SS. Peter & Paul (Parish) Church, Rev. Henry Francis
M.A. vicar; Rev. Wilfrid Thomas Stubbs M.A., Rev.
Daniel Frederic Slemeck M.A. & Rev. Thomas Leighton M.A.
curates; 8 & 11 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.;
holy days, 8 & 11 a.m. & 5 p.m.;
daily, 8 a.m. & 5 p.m. except Wed. & Fri. 11 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.
& services are also held at the Chapel of Ease at
6 p.m. & 1st Sun. 10.45 a.m. & in the New Mill school
room on Sun. at 10.45 a.m. & 3 p.m.

Baptist, Akeman street, Rev. L. Henry Colls;
10.30 a.m. & 2.15 & 6 p.m.; Mon. & Wed. 6.45 p.m.
Baptist (Ebenezer), Chapel street, by supply; 10.30 a.m.
& 2 & 6 p.m.; Wed. 6.45 p.m.
Baptist, New Mill, Rev. J. Bayliss; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, Western road, Rev. Charles Pearce;
10-45 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Mon. 7.15 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, Langdon street (Berkhamsted
Circuit), Rev. Jesse Wilson (supt);
11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m.

――――――――

PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.

These schools are under the control of six managers;
William James Dawe, Windmill lane, correspondent;
D. Whiting, Longfield road, attendance officer.

West End (boys, girls & infants), built in 1840 &
enlarged in 1866, for 550 children; average attendance,
231 boys, 175 girls & 90 infants;
Frederic B. Fells, master; Miss Elizabeth Stoner, mistress;
Miss Sophia Elizabeth Jarman, infants’ mistress.

New Mill (girls & infants), built in 1874, for 150 children;
average attendance, 60 girls & 60 infants;
Miss Edmeads, mistress.

King street (infants), built in 1870, for 120 children;
average attendance, 82;
Miss Mary Florence Karn, mistress.

――――――――

Railway Station, Charles W. Bradley,
station master & goods manager.
Conveyance.—Omnibus starts from the ‘Britannia inn,’
Western road, calling at the ‘Rose & Crown,’ High street,
to Tring railway station, several times daily

Carriers to :—
Aston Clinton—Read & Goodsen, ‘Rose & Grown,’ Fri
Aylesbury—Crook, Thurs
Hemel Hempstead—Crook, Wed. returning Thurs
London & all parts,—per L&NWR daily;
chief office, High street
Long Marston—Gregory, Fri
Puttenham—Gregory, Fri

――――♦――――


TRING.
 


PRIVATE RESIDENTS


Anderson William Ward M.B., B.Ch.,
    Western road
Asquith Bentley, 27 Park road
Baggs Stanley Gifford, Hillside Villas,
    New mill
Batchelor George, Ivy ho. Park road
Batehelor John, Hastoe vil. Western rd
Bayliss Rev. Jn. (Bapt.), Hillden villa
Bird Mrs. Western road
Bishop David, Longfield road
Boyson Philip Ambrose, Grove lodge,
    Station road
Bradford Mrs. 38 Park road
Brown Arthur M. Beach grove
Brown Frank John, Okeford
Brown James M.B., C.M., Harvieston
Brown Mrs. Beech grove

Butcher Frederick, Frogmore
Butcher Frederick, jun. The Grove
Butcher Walter J.P. 20 High street
Cannon Alfred, Ashburnham villas,
    Western road
Carr Richardson, Home farm
Cato Miss, Miswell lane
Colls Rev. L. Henry (Baptist), Framsden
    Western road
Cosier Charles. Ashburnham villas.
    Western road
Cosier Henry, Eversley, Western road
Dawe Mrs. H. 5 Park road
Dawe William James, Miswell lane
Du Croz Mrs. Western road
Elliman Mrs. Westcroft, Western road
Emery George, 1 Park road
Francis Rev. Henry M.A. (vicar),
    Vicarage
Fyson Thomas Child, Western road

Glover Harry, Grange vil. Western rd
Glover Thomas. 4 Park street
Grace Frederick, 3 Park road
Grace Mrs. 15 Akeman street
Grifien James, Langdon street
Gutteridge James, Chapel street
Herbert Ernst. Belle Vue vil. Park rd
Hedges Mrs. 55 Western road
Hedges Robert, Parsonage place
Honour James, Netherby, Grove
Hows Thomas, Newtown ho. New mill
Huckvale Wm. Ardmore, Western rd
Jolly Mrs. 54 Western road
Jordan Carl D.Ph. Park road
Knight Mrs. 85 Akeman street
Le Quesne Edwin Joseph, Elm house.
    Western road
Lewis Joseph, Elmwood, Western rd
Mackenzie Mrs. Aylesbury road
Mareham Fdk. 2 East croft, Langdon st

––––

Maul William Charles, Brook street
Mead Albert, The Laurels, Station rd
Mead. Miss, 19 Western road
Mead Miss Mary, The Cedars,
    Station road
Mead William, Gamnel
Newman Leonard, Aylesbury road
Newman Mrs. St. Kilda, Western rd
Newton Henry Charles, Guestling
O’Keefle Charles Edward, Beechwood
Pearce Rev. Charles (Baptist),
    Western road
Pike William, Miswell lane
Pope Rev. Arthur Frederick M.A.
    The Furlong
Powell Mrs. Hazlemere, Western road
Putnam George, Fernville, Park road
Roberts Paul, 7 Park road
Rodwell William Jesse, 60 Akeman st
Rothschild Lord G.C.V.O., P.C. Tring
    park; 43 Piccadilly S.W; Marlborough
    Club S.W.; St. James’ club W &
    Turf Club W, London
Shackel Miss, Basildon vil. Western rd
Slemeck Rev. Daniel Frederic M.A.
    (curate), Western road
Smith Edwin, Brook ho. Brook street
Smith George, 95 Brook street
Smith Robert, Aylesbury road
Smith Wm. The Hollies, Brook street
Spencer Malcolm, Aylesbury road
Stubbs Rev Wilfrid Thomas M.A.
    (curate), 2 Park road
Thompson Herbert H. 57 Western rd
Thorp George, Western road
Tite George, Aylesbury road
Underwood Mrs. Ferndale vil.
    Western rd
Vaisey Arthur William, Hollyfield
Walker Henry John, 1 East croft,
    Langdon street
Whitechurch Mrs. 53 Western road
Williams Joseph Grout J.P. Pendley
    manor
Williams Misses, Hawkwell, Station rd
Wood Miss, Hazely, Station road
Wright Walter Edwd. 29 Western rd
Young George Thomas, 8 High street


COMMERCIAL.

Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m.
Agricultural Association (Frank John
    Brown, hon. sec.), 41 High street
Allison Edmond, insur. agt.. Akeman st
Allison Bobt. Wm. corn mer, Western rd
Anderson William Ward M.B., B.Ch.
    Edin. physician & surgeon firm,
    Le Quesne & Anderson), Western rd
Angell Chas. Hy. tailor, Frogmore st
Association for Prosecution of Felons
    (William Huckvale, sec)
Asquith Bentley, civil engnr. 27 Park rd
Austin Cornelius Frederick Henry &
    Sons, painters, 64 Wingrave road,
    New mill
Avery Robert. confectioner, 29 High st
Aylen George, Castle P.H. Park road
Ayres Clr-Sergt. Geo. drill instructor
    F Co. Hertfordshire Battalion Terri-
    torial Force, Armoury, Western rd
Baldock Herbert John, police sergeant,
    Police station
Barker Edwin, beer retailer, 31 King st
Batchelor George & Son, drapers 29,
    & grocers 30 & 32, Akeman street
Bedford Danl. hair dresser, 27 High st
Bee Mary (Miss), private school,
    Western road
Birch Louisa (Miss), dress maker, 42
    Akeman street
Bird Joseph, boot maker, 7 Albert st
Bligh Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper,
    42 Frogmore street

Bly John, furniture dealer, 22 High st
Bly William, furniture dlr. 2 Brook st
Bovington Annie (Mrs.), beer retailer,
    New mill
Brandon & Sons. house furnishers,
    Western road
Bristow Wm. beer retailer, Frogmore st
Brooks Thomas, shopkpr. New mill
Brown & OKeeffe, physicians &
    surgeons, High street

Brown W. & Co. auctioneers, land
    agents, architects & surveyors,
    41 High street. Tel. No. 11
Brown James M.B. & C.M.Edin.,
    L.S.A. (firm, Brown & O’Keeffe),
    surgeon, & medical officer & public
    vaccinator for the Aldbury district of
    the Berkhamsted union & certifying
    factory & Admiralty surgeon,
    23 High street
Budd Joseph, grocer, Western road
Bull Charles, baker, 15 Charles street
Burch James, tailor, New mill
Carr Richardson, agent to Lord
    Rothschild, High street
Cash & Co. boot makers, Western rd
Cato Charles, boot maker, New mill
Cato Chas. canvas mnfr. 12 Charles st
Cato John, boot maker, 2 Chapel st
Cato Thomas, boot repairer, 7 Clement
    place, Akeman street
Chadwick Michael, stationer, printer
    & collector to the Urban District
    Council, Western road
Chappell Chas. farmer, Dunsley farm
Chuter Thos. postmaster, Western rd,
Clark Jsph. & Son, tailors, Frogmore st
Clark James, jun. deputy registrar
    of births, deaths & marriages, Tring
    sub-district, Berkhamsted district,
    Frogmore street
Clarke Jsph. farmer, Park Hill farm
Clement John T. & Son, watch & clock
    makers, 33 High street
Cogger Alfd. greengrocer
    18 Frogmore st;
Cook John, relieving & vaccination
    officer & collector to the guardians
    of Berkhamsted union, Springwell
    villas, Western road
Cosier J. & Sons, tailors, Western rd
Cross George, tailor, Western road
Crouch Fredk. farmer, Miswell farm
Dawe Arthur Henry & Co. iron-
    mongers, 51 & 52 High street
Davis Alfred, saddler, 92 Akeman st
De Fraine G. T. & Co. stationers, 6
    & 7 High street
Dellar Thomas, florist &c. see
    Westwood & Dellar
Dover Ernest, chimney sweeper, 10
    Western road
Draper Joseph, beer ret. Frogmore st
Dwight Frederick, Royal Oak P.H.
    28 Akeman street
Dyer Arthur, gardener to Lord
    Rothschild
Ellis Saml. & Sons, tailors, Western rd
English Dental Institute Limited, 26
    High street
Evans James, butcher, 55 High street
    Field Frank, George hotel
Fincher Alfred, coal & wood merchant,
    55 King street
Fincher Arthur Edward, painter,
Western road & Queen street
Fincher Charles Henry, tailor,
    74 Brook street
Fincher Henry John, builder, 28
Western road & Buckland common
Foskett Harry & Herbert, boot &
    shoe makers, Western road
Foskett George, boot & shoe maker,
    38 High street
Fulks Ernest Kelsall, draper, 43 to 49
    High street
Fulks John, dairyman, Langdon street
Gas & Coke Co. (Robert Hedges,
    sec); office, Western road; works,
    Brook street
Gascoin Thos. fishmngr. 14 Akeman st
Gerrish Frederick W. gardener to
    J. G. Williams esq. J.P.
Gibbs Albert, Kings Arms, King st
Glover Thomas & Sons. grocers &
    agents for W. & A. Gilbey Limited.
    wine & spirit mers. 19 High street
Goods Geo. upholsterer, Longfield rd
Goodson Thos. & Son, blacksmiths &
    farriers, 54 High street
Grower John& Son. coal merchants,
    Queen street
Gower Arthur, jobmaster, Western rd

Gower John, china & glass dealer, 56
    & 57 High street
Gower Samuel, general dlr. Henry st
Grace Gilbert & Son, ironmongers,
    Western road
Grace R. & A. bakers, 18 Henry st
Grace Frank, corn merchant & farmer,
    Parsonage farm & Little Tring
Grace Harold Frank, baker, 89 & 90
    Akeman street
Grand Junction Canal Water Works &
    Reservoir (Frederick Mew, engineer),
    Little Tring
Grange Herbert, farmer, Grove farm
Green Thomas Sealy M.R.C.V.S.
    veterinary surgeon, High street
Green Wm. Jas. cycle ma. 35 High st
Greening Louisa (Mrs.), draper &
    clothier, 31 & 32 High street
Griffin Charles & Son, grocers,
    Frogmore street
Harrop Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper,
    2 Albert street
Hertfordshire Battalion Territorial
    Force (F Co. Capt. & Hon, Major
    S. William Jenney V.D.; Color-
    Sergeant George Ayres, instructor),
    Armoury, Western road
Hedges John & Sons, decorators &
    glaziers, Parsonage place
Hertfordshire Cider & Preserve Co.
    Limited (The), fruit preservers,
    Akeman street
Hertfordshire Public House Trust Co.
    Limited (Arthur Lillywhite, manager),
    Rose & Crown hotel, High st
Hewitt George, butcher, New mill
Hobbs James, stone & monumental
    mason, Western road
Hobden Charles Henry, Queen’s Arms
    P.H. New mill
Honour James& Son, builders,
    Akeman street
Honour James, tomato grower,
    Aylesbury road
Horn Bethia (Miss), linen draper,
    Charles street
Horn Jas. boot repairer, 80 Brook st
Houchen Ellis, draper, Western road
Howlett Frederick Charles, baker,
    25 Akeman street
Howlett Howard, furniture dealer,
    21 & 22 Charles street
Howlett Thomas, shopkeeper, Post
    office, King st. & 87 Akeman street
Huckvale Wm. architect, Western rd
Hughes Ernest, Britannia inn,
    Western road
Humphrey Wm. B. insur. agt. Park rd
Humphreys William, boot & shoe
    maker, 13 King street
International Tea Co.’s Stores Ltd.
    Western road
Ives Alfred, tailor, Longfield road
Jacklin Frederick Thomas, hair drssr.
    8 Western road
Jeffery George Golder M.P.S. chemist
    & optician; dealer in photographic
    materials, 26 High st. Tel. No. 6
Jennings Thomas & Son, saddlers &
    harness makers, Western road
Johnson William & Sons, butchers,
    21 High street
Johnson Frdc. watchma. Western rd
Johnson Hy. fishmonger, Frogmore st
Kiff Wm. Hy. jobmaster, Western rd
Kingham Bros. cycle mkrs. Westem rd
Kingham Alfd. grocer, Frogmore st
Kirby Peter, foreman to William
    Mead, Gamnel
Knight Sarah (Mrs), plumber,
    Akeman street

Lawson Joseph Essam, grocer & wine
    & spirit dealer, 25 High street
Le Quesne & Anderson, physicians &
    surgeons, Elm house
Le Quesne Edwin Joseph L.R.C.P.
    Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng., L.S.A.
    surgeon, & medical oflicer for the
    Tring district of the Berkhamsted
    union, Elm house
Liddington Wm. beer ret. Frogmore st

––––

Locke & Smith Limited, maltsters,
    High street & New mill
Lockhart William, coal & coke
    merchant, Western road
London Central Meat Co. Limited,
    35a, High street
Mannington Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper,
    Post office, New mill
Maull W. G. private school, Brook st
Maunders Charlotte (Mrs), shop-
    keeper, 24 King street
Mead Frederick, coal, hay & straw
    mer. Pendley wharf & Tring station
Mead Walter, butcher, Western road
Mead William N. miller (wind &
    steam), Roller flour mills, Gamnel
Mew Frederick, engineer to the Grand
    Junction Canal Water Works,
    Little Tring
Morris Tube Rifle Club (Herbert
    Grange, hon. sec)
Morrison John Wm. Thos. (M.P.S.)
    & Co. chemists & druggists & pro-
    prietors of the Swiss indigestion,
    neuralgia & corn cures, Western
    road; TN 5 & TA “Morrison, Tring”
OKeeffe Charles Edward L.R.G.P.I.
    firm, Brown & O’Keeffe), physician
    & surgeon, High street
Osborn David, carpenter, 54 King st
Parrott & Wright, carriage builders,
    50 & 51 Western road
Pearman Thomas James, Robin Hood
    P.H. Brook street
Pheasant Jas. insurance agent,
Wingrave road, New mill
Philbey Frederick, threshing machine
    & traction engine propr. New mill
Piggott Ellen (Mrs.), refreshment
    house, 86 Akeman street
Pitkin Charles (successors), saddlers &
    harness makers, 30 High street
Pratt Moses, farmer, Wick farm
Prentice Ebenezer, marine store
    dealer, 64 Akeman street
Punter Walter, pawnbroker, 29
    Frogmore street
Putnam Charles, baker, Frogmore st
Putnam John, grocer & wine & spirit
    dealer, 53 High street
Randall Alfred Ernest, shopkeeper,
    11 Akeman street
Rawlins H. & Son, painters & paper-
    hangers, 4 Langdon street
Reeve Jane (Mrs.), dress maker, 47
    Frogmore street

Reeve John, pianoforte tuner, 47
    Frogmore street
Reeve Joseph, gardener to Frederick
Butcher esq. Frogmore street
Rodwell William Jesse, brewer, Ake-
    man street
Rolfe Fredk. boot ma. Frogmore st
Rolfe Fredk. coal mer. 14 Western rd
Rothschild Museum (Dr. Ernst Har-
    tert, director, & Dr. Carl Jordan,
    curator); open to the public, Mon.
    Tues. Wed. & Fri. Park road
Sallery George & Son, butchers, 28
    High street & 20 Akeman street
Sanders Alfd. greengrcr. 34 High st
Scott Thos. beer retlr. 53 Akeman st
Sherman Emily (Mrs.), & Annie
    (Mrs), clothiers, 36 High street
Short Edgar, Bell inn, 37 high street
Slade Wm. Arth. baker, Western rd
Smith Edwin & Son, builders Brook st
Smith Thomas, gamekeeper to Lord
Rothschild, Keeper’s lodge
Somes George Wright, boot maker, 25
    Henry street
Stimson Arthur, The Harrow P.H.
    91 Akeman street
Stockton & Co. drapers, 46 Frog-
    more street
Thomas William Henry, surveyor &
    inspector of nuisances to Tring
Urban District Council & to Berk-
    hamsted Rural District Council;
    office, Market ho.; res. Miswell la.
Thorp & Son, grocers, Western road
Timberlake Joseph, farm. bailiff to
    Lord Rothschild, Hastoe farm
Tring Cemetery (A. W. Vaisey, regstr)
Tring Constitutional Club (J. G. Wil-
    liams esq. J.P. president; Henry
    John Fincher, sec.; James Budd,
    steward), Western road
Tring Co-operative Industrial & Provi-
    dent Society Limited (Henry John
    Walker, sec.), High st. & Charles st
Tring & District Mutual Building
    Society (Geo. Hy. Moulting, sec.),
    Western road
Tring Fat Stock Sale Brown &
    Co. auctioneers), Brook street
Tring Literary& Scientific Institute
    (Miss Elsie Bradford, sec.&
    librarian), Western road
Tring Nursing Home (Lady Roth-
    schild, president; Richardson Carr
    esq. hon. sec.; Miss F. C. Girardet.
    nurse in charge), Station road

Tring Omnibus Co. Limited (Jabez
    Pratt, sec.), High street
Union of London & Smiths Bank Lim.
    bankers (branch) (Walter Butcher,
    local director),20 High street; draw
    on head oflice, 2 Princes street,
    London E.C.
Urban District Isolation Hospital
    (Edwin Joseph Le Quesne L.R.C.P.
    Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng. & James
    Brown M.B., C.M. hon. medical
    officers; Miss C. F. Shepherd,
    matron), Little Tring road
Vaisey Arthur William, solicitor &
    commissioner for taking oaths, clerk
    to the Urban District Council,
    Vestry clerk & clerk to the Guardians
    of Berkhamsted union & to
    Berkhamsted Rural District Council,
    Western road
Waldock Frederick, baker &
    confectioner, Western road
Watts Marion (Mrs), art needlework
    depot, Western road
Wells Frank, tailor, 39 Charles street
Wells William, beer ret. 25 Western rd
West George, boot ma. 19 Albert st
West Herts Farmers’ Association
    (Leonard Newman, sec.), High st
Westwood & Dellar, nurserymen &
    florists, 18 High st. & Mortimer hill
Wilkins Daniel, carman, Bulborne rd.
    New Mill
Wilkins Hannah (Mrs), shopkeeper,
    New Mill
Wilkins James Parker, foreman to
Mr. J. Clarke, Gamnel farm
Woodward George, grocer& beer
    retailer, 18 Akeman street
Wright & Sons, butchers, 30 High st
Wright Albert, butcher, 40 Akeman st
Wright Albert, coach builder, see Par-
rott & Wright
Wright Edwd. carpenter, Western rd
Wright George, baker, Longfield road
Wright James, miller (wind & steam),
    Goldfield mill & baker, 26 Western
    road
Wright Walter Edward, boys’ school.
    & registrar of births, marriages &
    deaths for Tring sub-district, Berk-
    hamsted district, White house, 29
    Western road
Wright William, grocer, Western rd
Young Henry Jas. shopkpr. Chapel st

 


――――♦――――

 



[Home] [Local History Titles] [Museum Home Page] [Site Search]

Contacts