TRING is a market town and parish on the Road to Aylesbury and on
the Buckinghamshire border of the county, with a station 1¾ miles
distant (and locally in Aldbury parish), on the London and North
Western railway, and 3¾ miles from London; the town is 7 miles
south-east from Aylesbury and 4½ north-west from Berkhamsted, in
the Western division of the county, in Dacorum hundred and petty sessional division, Berkhamsted union, Aylesbury county court
district, and in the rural deanery of Berkhamsted and archdeaconry
and diocese of St. Albans; the Grand Junction canal passes near the
station, and has a branch to Aylesbury: the town is lighted with gas
by the Tring Gas Light and Coke Co. Limited, from works in Brook
Street, and supplied with water by the
Chiltern Hills Spring Water
Co. The town is sewered on the broad irrigation system.
Under the provisions of the “Local Government Act. 1894” (56 and 57
Vict. c 73), the Urban portion of the parish is now governed by an
Urban District Council of 12 members, formed in 1894, which takes
the place of the Local Board established in February, 1859. In
pursuance of the same Act, Tring has been divided into two civil
parishes, viz. Urban and Rural, the latter having a Parish Council
of 7 members. and comprising Long Marston and Wilstone.
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is on ancient building of stone and
flint in the Perpendicular style, with features of an earlier date,
and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a massive
embattled western tower containing 8 bells, dating from 1624 to
1882: the interior was thoroughly restored in 1862 and the church
partially rebuilt during the years 1880 and 1881, a new clock,
chiming the quarters, being at the some time placed in the tower;
the restoration, completed in March, 1882, cost about £3,500,
furnished by voluntary contributions: in 1900 a rood screen and loft
of carved oak were erected, the east end of the south aisle formed
into a chapel, and the chancel panelled in oak and decorated, the
whole cost being defrayed by a lady resident in the parish: there
are 300 sittings. The register dates from 1566. The living is a
vicarage, net yearly value £261, and residence, in the gift of J. G.
Williams Esq. of Pendley Manor, and held since 1903 by the Rev.
Henry Francis M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. St. Martha’s, in Park
Road, erected as a chapel of ease to the parish church, is served by
the clergy of Tring: there are 120 sittings.
The Baptist chapel in Western Road, founded in 1750, affords 450
sittings; there is also a Strict Baptist chapel in Akeman Street,
seating 850, and one at New Mill, founded in 1655, and having 600
sittings; Ebenezer Baptist chapel, in Chapel Street, will seat 300
persons, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel, with 100
The Church House, in Western Road, erected in 1897, is a structure
of red brick, from designs by Mr. William Huckvale, architect, of
Tring, and is used for concerts &c. The
Cemetery at the west end of
the town, provided in 1894, under the “Public Health (Interments)
Act, 1879,” is under the management of the Urban Council: there is
one chapel: the area is 4a. 3r. 27p; part of the ground has been
The Constitutional Club in the Western Road, is a structure of red
brick with stone dressings, erected in 1892, at the sole expense of
Joseph Grout Williams J.P. of Pendley Manor, from designs by Mr.
Huckvale, and comprises a reading room, two billiard rooms, a
committee room and the usual offices. The ancient Market House, in
High Street, was taken down, and another Market House erected in
1898 on a site presented by Lord Rothschild at the corner of Akeman
Street and Western Road – in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of
Her late Majesty Queen Victoria – from the designs of Mr. Huckvale;
it is timber-framed in oak, filled with rough cast, and contains a
hall, 41 by 26 feet, used by the Council, with a ﬁre brigade
station, surveyor’s office, committee and store rooms underneath.
A market is held on Friday. The fair on Easter Monday and Old Michaelmas Day is still held. A sale of fat stock is held in the
Cattle Market, Brook Street, every Monday at 1.30 p.m.; W. Brown and
The Literary and Scientific Institute, founded in 1849, has a library
of 800 volumes and a reading room.
The Rothschild Museum, erected in 1889, by the Hon. Lionel Walter
Rothschild Ph.D. F.R.S., consists of the museum itself, containing
public galleries and the special collections for scientific
research. The building is a large house of two storeys, access to
the upper galleries being obtained by a stone staircase; a wing was
added in 1912; the museum contains Mr. Rothschild’s private Natural
History collections, and the galleries are open to public inspection
on the first three days of the week and on Fridays, and are largely
visited; the ground floor is devoted to birds and mammals, and the
upper floors to sponges, corals, molluscs, fishes, mammals and
reptiles, besides insects and crustaceans. The collections are now
very extensive and are being constantly increased by the labours of
collectors in foreign countries; and the arrangement of the
specimens is proceeding under the supervision of the director and
his assistants; the Museum house, which has a bold gabled oriel,
contains Mr. Rothschild’s study, and curators’ rooms; there is also
a taxidermist’s and general workshop; Dr. Ernst Hartert is director,
and Dr. Karl Jordan curator of the entomological department. Attached to the Museum is a special zoological library, and near
a house devoted to entomological subjects.
The Tring Nursing Home occupies premises in Station Road, presented
by Lady Rothschild, and includes an accident ward; it is vested in
two trustees and supported by voluntary contributions. An
Hospital was erected in 1901 by the Urban District Council, and has
The Tring Poor’s Land, formerly consisting of 107a. 3r. 7p. of land
and 3 houses, has been sold and the proceeds invested in Consols,
producing an annual income of £127, which is distributed in coal at
Christmas. The other charities, now consolidated, and yielding an
income of about £140, are administered under a scheme framed by the
Charity Commissioners in 1884, which allows the application of the
funds specified in it for the benefit, in various ways, of the poor,
but is mainly devoted to the encouragement of thrift and
Tring Park, the property and residence of Lord Rothschild, is
pleasantly seated amid lovely woodland scenery, with undulating
slopes richly timbered on all sides. Lord Rothschild P.C., G.C.V.O.
is lord of the manor of Tring, and Joseph Grout Williams Esq. J.P.
of the manor of Pendley. The principal landowners are Lord
Rothschild and J. G. Williams Esq. J.P. The soil, which rests on
the lower chalk formation, varies considerably.
Sexton, Richard E. Miller, 10 Church lane.
The area of Tring Urban parish and District is 4,364 acres of land
and 43 of water; rateable value, £25,400; the population in 1911 was
Little Tring and Tring Grove are hamlets. At Little Tring, 1 mile
from Tring, are the Grand Junction Canal Water pumping station and
reservoir; the latter is 405 feet above the sea, being a triﬂe
higher than the summit of St. Paul’s, London; there are 55 locks on
the canal between Northchurch and the Thames.
OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS, &c
Post Office (head office), at which business of all kinds is
transacted, Western Road.—Thomas Chuter, postmaster. Letters
arrive from all parts at 4 a.m.; from London & the South at 1.30,
6.10, 8.20 & 10.45 a.m. & 3.5 p.m.; from the North at. 3.15 & 5
p.m.; London & South, 6.5 p.m. & 12 midnight; deliveries at 7 & 11
a.m. & 4 & 6.30 p.m. Dispatches, Aylesbury, 4 a.m.; local
country post, 5 a.m.; London, North of England, Scotland & Ireland &
Cheddington, 6.30 a.m.; Aston Clinton, Halton, Weston Turville,
Wendover, Butler’s Cross & Princes Risboro, 8.50 a.m.; London, South
& West of England & Cheddington 9.30 a.m.; Aldbury, 10.50 a.m.;
London an North & South of England, Scotland & Ireland, 12.50 p.m.;
London, Aylesbury, Bletchley, Leighton BuzzaRd, Luton & Dunstable, 2
p.m.; Cholesbury, 2.30 p.m.; London, Berkhamsted, Watford, Hemel
Hempstead, Harrow & South of England, 3.20 p.m.; Aldbury, Aston
Clinton, Long Marston, Marsworth, New Mill, Wigginton & Wilstone, 4
p.m.; London & North & South of England, 8.15 p.m.; London & all
parts, 9.45 p.m.; deliveries, Sundays at 7 a.m.; dispatched, Sundays
at 7 p.m.
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Office. King Street. – Thomas Hewlett,
sub-postmaster. Letter Box cleared 9 a.m. & 12.15, 3 & 7.15 p.m.;
Sundays, 6.45 p.m.
Post & M. O. Office, New Mill. – Mrs. Mary Mannington,
sub-postmistress. Letters through Tring. Letter Box cleared at 7.55
a.m. & 4.30 & 7.10 p.m.; Sundays, 11.50 a.m. Tring 1 mile distant is
the nearest telegraph office.
Letter Box, The Grove, cleared at 7.15 p.m.; Sundays 11.45 a.m.
Parcels Post.— Deliveries daily (Sunday excepted), 8.30 & 11 a.m. &
4 & 6.30 p.m.; dispatches daily (Sunday excepted), 9.30 a.m. & 2
p.m. (all parts), 8.20 p.m. (London, by Road), 8.15 p.m. (all parts)
& 9.45 p.m. (all parts).
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Offices, Western Road. Meeting day, the second Tuesday in every
month at 6.30 p.m.
All retire in April, 1916.
Chairman, Richardson Carr.
Vice-Chairman, Rev. C. Pearce.
T. H. Hedges
Rev. Charles Pearce
H. C. Cook
Joseph Grout Williams J.P.
Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, solicitor, Western Road.
Treasurer, H. H. Thompson (branch of Union of London & Smiths Bank
Limited), The Bank, High Street.
Medical Officer of Health, William Gruggen L.R.C.P.I., L.R.F.P. & S.
Glas., D.P.H. Camb.,
67 Durban Rd., Watford
Surveyor in Inspector of Nuisances, Sydney S. Gettings A.M.I.C.E.
Market house, Akeman Street.
Collector, W. J. Dawe, Park Road.
Cemetery, Arthur William Vaisey, clerk
Fire Brigade, Market House, George Putnam, supt.
Nursing Home, Station Road, Miss F. C. Girardet, nurse in charge.
Police Station, Western Road, Herbert John Baldock, police sergeant.
Rothschild Museum; open to the public; Mon. Tues. Wed. & Fri. Park
Road, Dr. Ernst Hartert, director;
Dr. Karl Jordan, curator.
Urban District Isolation Hospital, Little Tring Road, William Ward
Anderson M.B., B.Ch.,
James Brown M.B., C.M. & Charles Edward O‘Keefe L.R.G.P.I., hon.
Miss S. Hackney, matron.
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Admiralty Surgeon, Medical Officer &
Public Vaccinator, Aldbury District
Berkhamsted Union, James Brown M.B., C.M. 23 High Street
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee of Berkhamsted Union &
to Berkhamsted Rural District
Council, Arthur William Vaisey, Western Road
Surveyor & Inspector of Nuisances to Berkhamsted Rural District
Council, Herbert. N. Hedges,
55 Western Rd.
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for Tring Sub-District,
Berkhamsted District, Walter Edwd.
Wright, 29 Western Road; deputy, Arthur James Bagnall, 1 Albert
Medical Officer, Tring District, Berkhamsted Union, William Ward
Anderson M.B., B.Ch. Edin.
Merston, Western Road
Relieving In Vaccination Officer & Collector to the Guardians for
Berkhamsted Union, Charles Joint,
211 High Street, Great Berkhamsted.
Vestry Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, Western Road.
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.
SS. Peter & Paul (Parish) Church, Rev. Henry Francis MA. vicar; Rev.
Herbert Edward Usher Bull M.A.
curate; 8 & 11 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.; holy days, 8 & 11 a.m. & 5
p.m.; daily, 8 a.m. & 5 p.m. except
Wed. & Fri. 11 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. & services are also held at the
Chapel of Ease at 6 p.m. & 1st Sun.
10.45 a.m. & in the New Mill school room on Sun. at 10.45 a.m. & 3
Baptist: (Strict), Akeman Street, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Mon. &, Wed.
Baptist. (Ebenezer), Chapel Street, by supply; 10.30 a.m. & 2 & 6
p.m.; Wed, 6.45 p.m.
Baptist (Strict), New Mill, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, Western Road. Rev. Charles Pearce; 10.45 a.m. & 6
p.m.; Mon. 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Langdon Street (Berkhamsted Circuit). Rev.
Miles Johnson (supt.) 11. a.m. & 6 p.m.;
Wed. 7 p.m.
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.
Tring Urban Local Education Sub-Committee.
The Committee consists of 11 members.
Meetings are held at the Vestry Hall at least once a quarter.
Chairman, Rev. Henry Francis M.A. The Vicarage.
Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, Western Road.
Assistant School Medical Officer, William Gruggen
L.R.C.P.I., D.P.H. Camb., 67 Durban Road, Watford.
Attendance Officer, David Whiting, Longfield Road.
Tring C. E. (boys & girls), built in 1840 & enlarged in 1866 & again
in 1913, for 279 boys & 218 girls; average attendance, 230 boys &
174 girls; Frederic B. Fells, master; Miss Elizabeth Stoner,
Gravelly (infants), built in 1874, tor 136 children; average
attendance, 115; Miss Mary Florence Karn,
New Mill C. E. (girls & infants), built in 1874, for 116 children;
average attendance, 85 girls & infants;
Miss C. J. Edmeads, mistress.
Railway Station, Charles W. Bradley, station master & goods agent.
Conveyance. — Motor omnibus starts from the ‘Britannia Inn,’ Western
Rd. calling at the ‘Rose & Crown,’
High Street to Tring railway station, several times daily.
CARRIERS to :—
London & all parts, per L. & N. W. R. daily; parcel receiving
office, 50 High Street.
Anderson William Ward M.B., B.Ch.
Merston, Western Road
Asquith Bentley, 27 Park Road
Batchelor George 6 Park Road
Batchelor John, Hastoe Vil., Western Rd
Bourn William John, 2 Park Road
Boyson Ambrose Philip, Grove Lodge,
Brandon John, 24 Park Road
Brown Frank John, Okeford
Brown James M.B. C.M. Harvieston.
Bull Rev. Herbert Edward Usher
M.A. (curate), Haslemere, Western
Butcher Frederick, Frogmore
Carr Richardson, Home farm
Cockburn Mrs. Red lodge, Miswell La
Coles Charles Philip, Four corner
Cook John, Springwell Vil, Western Rd
Cosier Henry, Eversley, Western Road
Elliman Mrs. Westcroft, Western Road
Emery George. 1 Park Road
Fenton, Brig. Gen. Alexander Bul-
strode C.B. The Grove & United
Service club, London SW
Flower Capt. Stanley, Longﬁeld,
Fountaine Thomas William, Dilston.
Francis Rev. Henry M.A. (vicar),
Fyson Thomas Child, Western Road
Gander Jn. Alfd. Wm. 9 Akeman St
Gettings Sydney S. Windley, Ayles-
Glover Henry, Grange.Vil., Western Rd
Glover Mrs. 4 Park Street
Grange Herbert, The Grove
Green Thos. Scaly, Bayley,Western Rd
Griffen Jas. 3 East Croft. Langdon st
Gumpert Mrs. Western Road
Hartert Ernst, Belle Vue Vil. Park Rd
Hedges Miss, 54 Western Road
Hedges Mrs. 55 Western Road
Hobson Hy. Goldﬁeld Vils. Western Rd
Honour James, Netherby, Grove
Hows Thomas, 7 Newtown, New Mill
Huckvale Wm. Ardmore, Western Rd
Humphrey Wm. Baynham, 25 Park Rd
Jacobs Capt. John Joseph, Framsden,
Jordan Carl D.Ph., Hildene, Aylesbury
Kingham Wm. Ferndale Vil. Western Rd
Langworthy Edward Southwood, Bray—
brooke, Aylesbury Road
Lewis Joseph. Elmwood. Western Rd
Mac-Donald Arthur, Hazely, Station Rd
Maull Wm. Chas. Brookfield, Brook St.
Mead Albert. The Laurels Station rd
Mead Miss, The Cedars, Station Road
Mead Mrs. 94 Brook Street
Mead Wm. Newman, Gamnel, New Mill
Montefore Charles, 23 High Street
Newman Lennard, Hampden villa.
Newman Mrs. St. Kilda, Western rd
Newton Fredk. Bottesford, Western rd
O’Keefe Charles Edwd. Beechwood,
Parrott George, 19 Western Road
(Baptist), Western Rd
Pope Rev. Arthur Frederick. M.A. The
Rew Mrs. Aldersyde, Aylesbury Road
Rodwell William Jesse, 60 Akeman St
Rothschild Lord G.C.V.O., P.C., Tring
Park; 148 Piccadilly W; Marl-
borough Club S W; St. James’ Club
W & Turf Club W, London
Russell Mrs. Beech Grove, Station Rd
Shackel Miss, Basildon Vil., Western Rd
Smith George, 95 Brook Street
Smith Wm. The Hollies, Brook Street
Stevens Col. Robert, Thornset, Ayles
Thomas Walter Frederick, Miswell
Villa, Miswell Lane
Thomas Walt. Morris, Mill Ho. Brook St
Thompson Herbert H., 57 Western Rd
Vaisey Arth. Wm. Holly Fd., The Grove
Wilbraham Miss, Miswell House
Williams Joseph Grout J.P., Pendley
Williams Miss, Hawkwell, Station Rd
Wright Walter Edwd. 29 Western Rd
Young George Thomas, High Street
Early closing day,
Wednesday 1 p.m.
Agricultural Society (Frank John
Brown, sec), 41 High Street
Allbrights Limited, artificial teeth
manufacturers (attend Fridays, 2
to 4.30), 21 High Street
Allison Robt. Wm. corn mer, Western Rd
Ancient: Order of Foresters (Court
Albion, 4,423) (John Bagnall, Hope
cottages, King Street, sec.), Church
house, Western Road
Anderson William Ward M.B., B.Ch.
Edin. physician & surgeon, & medi-
cal officer for the Tring district of
the Berkhamsted Union, Merston,
Andrews Frank, beer ret., Frogmore St
Association for Prosecution of Felons
(Wm. Huckvale, sec), Western Rd
Asquith Bentley, civil engnr. 27 Park Rd
Austin Cornelius Frederick Henry &
Sons. painters, 64 Wingrave Road,
Ayres George, dairyman, Bulbourne
Road, New Mill
Bagnall Arthur James, Tailor, &
deputy registrar of births, deaths
& marriages, Tring sub-district,
Berkhamsted district, 1 Albert St
Bagnall Edgar William, watch maker,
62 Akeman Street
Bagnall James, insurance agent, 11
Bailey Hy. farmer. The Grange Farm
Baldwin Arthur, butcher, 21 Wingrave
Road, New Mill
Barker Edwin, beer retailer, 31 King St
Batchelor George & Son, drapers 29
& grocers 30 & 32. Akeman Street
Balchelor Jn. Hy. beer ret., Frogmore St
Bee Mary (Miss), private school,
45 Frogmore Street
Bell Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer, 25
Birch Louisa (Miss), dress maker, 42
Frederick Wm. saddler &
harness maker, Western Road
Bly John, furniture dealer, 21 High St
Bly William, furniture dlr. 2 Brook St
Bond Horace James, baker, 25 Akeman
Brandon & Sons, house furnishers,
Brooks Mary (Mrs.), shopkpr. New Mill
Brown & O’Keefe, physicians & surgeons,
23 High Street
Brown W. & Co. F.S.I. land agents,
auctioneers, architects & surveyors,
41 High Street. Tel. No. 11
Brown James M.B. & C.M.Edin.,
L.S.A. (firm, Brown & O’Keefe).
surgeon & medical officer & public
vaccinator for the Aldbury district
of the Berkhamsted union & certifying
factory & Admiralty surgeon,
23 High Street
Bryant Thomas, Queen’s Arms PH.
Wingrave Road, New Mill
Budd Ada (Miss), costumier, 19 Win-
grave Road, New Mill
Budd Fred, shopkpr. 11 Akeman St
Budd Joseph, grocer, Western Road
Bull Charles, baker, 15 Charles Street
Burch James, tailor, 52 Wingrave Rd.
Burton Tidd, George Hotel, Western Rd
Carr Richardson, agent to Lord
Rothschild G.C.V.O., PC., High St
Cash & Co. boot makers, Western Rd
Cato Chas. canvas mnfr. 12 Charles st
Cato John, boot maker, 3 Chapel St
Chadwick Michael, stationer, 14 Akeman
Chapell Chas. farmer, Dunsley Farm
Clark Jas & Son. tailors, 44 Frogmore St
Clarke Joseph, farmer, Park Hill &
Clement John T. & Son, watch &
clock makers, 33 High Street
Collins Frances & Lillie (Misses).
girls’ school, Elm Ho. Western Road
Cosier & Sons, tailors. Western Road
Cox Frederick Wm. John, naturalist,
Fairfield, Western Road
Cross George Wm. tailor, Western Rd
Davis Albert Edward, saddler, 92 Akaman
Dawe Arthur Henry & Co. ironmongers,
51 & 52 High Street
Dawe William James, collector to the
Urban District Council & poor rate
collector & sec. to Gas Co., 38 Park
De Fraine G. T. & Co. general
printers, booksellers & stationers,
High Street. T N 13; T A “De
Dinnis Chas. Edwd., grocer, Western Rd
Dover Ernest, chimney sweeper, 10
Dwight Frederick, Royal Oak PH, 28
Dye Arthur, gardener to Lord
Rothschild G.C.V.O., P.C., The
Gardens, Tring Park
Ellis Saml. & Son, tailors, Western Rd
Empire Meat Co. Limited, butchers.
28 High Street
Evans James, butcher, 55 High Street
Fincher Alfd. coal mer. 55 King St
Fincher Charles Henry, tailor, 74
Fincher Henry John,
Western Road & Buckland Common
Foskett Harry & Herbert, boot &
shoe makers, Western Road
Foskett George, boot & shoe dealer,
38 High Street
Fulks Ernest Kelsall, draper, 48 to 49
Gem Picture Palace (The) (W. J.
Palmer, general manager), High St
Gerrish Fredk. Geo. gardener to J.
G. Williams Esq.. J.P., Pendley Gdns
Gettings Sydney S., A.M.I.C.E. sur-
veyor & inspector of nuisances to
Tring Urban District Council;
offices, Market house, Akeman St
Glover Thomas & Sons, grocers, 19
Goddard George, news agt., 29 High St
Goodson Thos. & Son, blacksmiths &.
farriers, 54 High Street
Gower John & Son, coal merchants,
Gower Arthur, jobmaster, Western Rd
Gower John, china & glass dealer, 56
& 57 High Street
Grace Gilbert & Son, ironmongers,
Grace Frank, corn merchant, 15 Akeman
Street & farmer, Parsonage Farm
Grace Harold Frank, baker, Western Rd
Grand Junction Canal Pumping
Station & Reservoir (Frederick Mew,
engineer), Little Tring
Grange Herbt. & Co. corn merchants,
Grange Herbert, farmer, Grove farm
Green Thomas Sealy M.R.C.V.S.
veterinary surgn., Bayley, Western Rd
Greening Louisa (Mrs.), draper, 31 &
32 High Street
Griffin Charles & Son, grocers, 38
Gurney Sarah Ann (Mrs), apartmnts.
Haslemere, Western Road
Harrop Sarah (Mrs), shopkeeper, 2
Hawes B. & S., grocers, Frogmore St
Hawes Thomas, baker, 18 Henry Street
Hedges John & Sons, decorators &
glaziers, Parsonage Place
Hedges Herbert N., surveyor & inspec-
tor of nuisances to Berkhamsted
Rural District Council, 55 Western Rd
Higson Alfred John L.D.S.B.C.S. Eng.
surgeon-dentist (attends Monday, 2
to 4), Western Road
Hobbs Jas. stone mason, Western Rd
Holdaway Sydney Charles, fancy
draper, Western Road
Home Counties Public House Trust
Limited (Sherman Freeman, man-
ager), Rose in Crown Hotel, High St
Honour J & Son Limited, builders
Honour James, nurseryman, Long-
Hopkins Fanny Elizabeth (Miss),
grocer, Miswell lane
Howard Harry, Britannia Inn,
Howlett Fdk, Chas. baker, Western Rd
Howlett Howard, hardware dealer, 21
& 22 Charles Street
Howlett Thomas, shopkeeper, Post
office, King St, & 87 Akeman Street
Huckvale William, architect, Consti-
tutional Club chmbrs. Western rd
International Tea Co.’s Stores Ltd.
Ives Alfred, beer retailer, New Mill
Ives Arth. Thos. draper, 25 Charles St
Ives Hy. beer retailer, 54 Akeman St
Jacklin Fredk. Thomas, hair dresser
&c. Western Road
Jeffery George Golder, chemist, 26
Johnson William & Sons, butchers.
22 High Street
Johnson Frdc. watchma. Western Rd
Johnson Hv. ﬁshmonger, Frogmore St
Jones Alfred, saddler, 30 High Street
Kettle Robert Baily, boot
15a., Albert Street
Kingham Bros. cycle agts. Western Rd
Knight Sarah Maria (Mrs.), plumber,
85 Akeman Street & shoeing smith,
Harrow yard, Akeman Street
Langley Arthur, baker, 26 Western Rd
Lawson Joseph Essam, grocer & wine
& spirit dealer, 25 High Street
Liddington Wm. beer ret. Frogmore St
Lockhart William, coal & coke merchant,
London Central Meat Co. Limited,
35a High Street
Mannington Mary (Mrs), shopkeeper,
Post Office, New Mill
Marcham Elizabeth (Mrs.), fancy
draper, Western Road
Maunders Charlotte (Mrs), shopkeeper,
24 King Street
Mead Frederick, hay & straw merchant,
Mead Walter, butcher, Western Road
Mead William Newman, miller, New
Morris Tube Rifle Club (James Owen
Raymond, hon. sec.), 3a Western Rd
Morrison John Wm. Thos. (M.P.S.)
& Co. chemists & druggists &
photographic sundriesmen, Western
Road. T N 5; T. A. “Morrison,
Newman William Horwood, Harrow
P.H. 91 Akeman Street
Oddfellows (Loyal Sincerity Lodge)
(Manchester Unity) (A. W.
Hedges, sec. 17 Akeman Street),
Rose & Crown. High Street
O’Keefe Charles Edward L.R.C.P.I.
(firm, Brown & O’Keefe), physician
& surgeon, High Street
Osborn David, undertaker, 54 King St
Payne Joseph, boot ma., 6 Western Rd
Pearman Thomas James, Robin Hood
P.H., Brook Street
Peedle Henry, Castle P.H., Park Rd
Pheasant James, insurance agent, 38
Wingrave Road, New Mill
Philbey Frederick, threshing machine
& traction engine propr., New Mill
Piggott Ellen (Mrs), temperance
Hotel, 86 Akeman Street
Pratt Jabez, insurance agent, Woodleigh,
Pratt Moses, farmer, Wick Farm
Prentice Ebenezer, marine store
dealer, Western Road
Putnam Chas., baker, 31 Frogmore St
Putnam John, grocer & wine & spirit
dealer, 53 High Street
Rawlins H. & Sons, painters, 4 Langdon
Rawlins Arthur John, insurance agt.
3 Langdon Street
Reeve John, pianoforte tuner, 43
Reeve Joseph, gardener to Frederick
Butcher Esq., Frogmore Street
Rodwell William Jesse, brewer, 60
Rolfe Fredk. boot ma., 3 Frogmore St
Rolfe Fredk., coal mer., 14 Western Rd
Rothschild Museum (Dr. Ernst Hartert,
director: Dr. Karl Jordan,
curator); open to the public Mon.
Tues, Wed. & Fri. Park Road
Sallery George & Son, butchers, 24
High Street & 20 Akeman Street
Sanders Alfd Thos., fruitr., 34, High St
Sayer George, hair dresser, 13 Akeman
Sharman Emily (Mrs.) & Annie
(Mrs.), clothiers, 36 High Street
Short Edgar. Bell Inn, 37 High Street
Slade Louisa (Mrs), baker, Longfield
Sluiter Cornelius John, hair dresser,
27 High Street
Smith Edwin & Sons, builders, Brook St
Smith Elizh. (Miss), shpkpr., 17 Chapel St
Stockton & Co. drapers, 46 & 47
Swannell Harry, jobmaster,
Ferns, New Mill
Thornett Lionel Hubert, teacher of
music, Park Road
Thorp & Son, grocers, Western Road
Timberlake Joseph, farm bailiff to
Lord Rothschild G.C.V.O., PC.,
Tring Cemetery (A. W. Vaisey, clerk),
Tring Constitutional Club (J. G.
Williams Esq. J.P. president
Henry John Fincher, sec.; Thomas
Pusey, steward), Western Road
Tring Co-operative Industrial & Provi-
dent Society Limited (Saml. Hardy,
sec.), 58, 59 & 60 High Street &
Tring Fat Stock Sale (W. Brown &
Co. auctioneers), Brook Street
Tring Gas Light & Coke Co. Limited
(William James Dawe, sec.); office,
38 Park Road; Works, Brook St
Tring Literary & Scientific Institute
(E. K. Fulks sec.), Western Road
Tring Nursing Home (Lady Rothchild,
president; Richardson Carr
Esq.. hon. sec.; Miss F. C. Girardet,
nurse in charge), Station Road
Turner Albert Arthur, cycle agent, 81
Underwood Frederick, carpenter, 31
Wingrave Road, New Mill
Union of London & Smiths Bank Ltd.
bankers (branch) (Herbert Howland
Thompson, manager), 20 High St.;
draw on head office, 2 Princes St.
Urban District Isolation Hospital
(William Ward Anderson M.B.,
B.Ch., James Brown M.B., C.M. &
Charles Edward O’Keeffe L.R.C.P.
& S. I., hon. medical officers; Miss
S, Hackney, matron), Little Tring
Vaisey Arthur William & Son, solicitors,
Vaisey Arthur William, solicitor &
commissioner for taking oaths
(firm, A. W. Vaisey & Son), clerk
to the Urban District Council,
vestry clerk & clerk to the Guar-
dians of Berkhamsted union, to
Berkhamsted Rural District Coun-
cil & to the Tring Urban Local
Education Sub-Committee, Western
Road; & at 213 High Street, Great
Vaisey Roland Maddison, solicitor,
see A. W. Vaisey & Son
Waldock Fdk. Geo. baker, Western Rd
Warrior Rt. baker, 89 & 90 Akeman St
Watts Marion (Mrs.), art needlework
depot, Western Road
Wells Arth. Frank, tailor, 31 Albert St
West Herts Farmers’ Association
(Lennard Newman, sec.), 41 High St
Westwood Albert, nurseryman, 18
High Street & Mortimer Hill
Whiting David, collector of taxes &
attendance officer to the Urban
Local Education Sub-Committee
Wilkins Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper,
Wilkins James Parker, foreman to
Mr. J, Clarke, Gamnel farm
Wilkins Walter, carman, Bulbourne
Road, New Mill
Williams Charles S. King’s Arms
P.H. King Street
Williams Harry, insurance assistant
supt. Chiltern Vils. Aylesbury Road
Woodward Geo. grocer, 18 Akeman St
Wright & Sons, butchers, 39 High St
Wright & Wright, carriage builders.
50 & 51 Western Road
Wright Ebenezer Albert, butcher, 40
& 41 Akeman Street
Wright Edward, builders’ merchant.
Wright George, baker,
Wright Mary Jane Frances E, (Miss),
apartments, Fir Villa, Western Rd
Wright Walter Edward,
& registrar of births, marriages &
deaths for Tring sub-district, Berk-
hamsted district, 29 Western Road
(John Bly, hon. sec.), Akeman St
Young Hy. Jas. shopkpr, Western Rd
A DESCRIPTION OF HERTFORDSHIRE
Kelly’s Directory, 1914 edition.
HERTFORDSHIRE, often shortened into Herts, is an inland shire,
in the south-east of England, and is bounded on the north by
Cambridgeshire, south by Middlesex, east by Essex, north-west by
Bedfordshire, and south-east by Buckinghamshire: it is of irregular
form, of no peculiar natural features, and lies between 51° 36' and
52° 5' of north latitude, and 0° 13' east and 0° 45’ west longitude:
it is one of the smallest shires in England, both for size and
population, though by no means inconsiderable: it measures 37½ miles
from east to west, and 31 from north to south, and the greatest
length, which is from Royston to Rickmansworth, from north-east to
south-west, is 39 miles. By Local Government Board’s Order, 11
June, 1895, Nettleden was transferred from the county of Bucks to
this county, and part of Royston from Cambridgeshire, and the parish
of Kensworth and parts of Coddington and Studham were transferred,
1897, to Bedfordshire, and Holwell from Bedfordshire. By the
Counties of Bedford and Hertford (Alteration of County Boundaries)
Order, 1906, and the Counties of Buckingham and Hertford (Alteration
of Boundaries) Order, 1906, which came into operation 1st April,
1907, certain parts of Beds and Bucks were added to Herts and
certain parts of Herts transferred to Beds and Bucks.
The area of the ancient or geographical county is 406,157 acres, and
of the administrative county, 404,523 acres (including inland
water). The population in 1881 was 203,069; in 1891 was
220,162, viz., 106,471 males and 113,691 females. In 1901 the
population was:— Ancient county, 258,423 and administrative county,
258,423. The number of houses in the ancient county were:—
inhabited, 53,306; uninhabited, 3,358, including 1,212 in general
occupation for business or other purposes, and building, 613; in the
administrative county:— inhabited, 54,963; uninhabited, 3,402,
including 1,235 in general occupation for business or other
purposes, and building, 621. The population of the
administrative county in 1911 was 311,284, viz.: males, 148,632;
females, 162,652. Although the county town is within 20 miles
of London, yet the shire hardly partakes of the metropolitan
character, but is almost exclusively agricultural.
The history of Hertfordshire presents few features of importance.
After the Euskardians had been driven out, it was held by the Welsh
and Belgians. At the time of Caesar’s inroad, it seems to have
belonged to the Belgian tribe of the Cateuchlani, and perhaps the
Trinobantes held part. The Romans having taken the country,
had a capital municipium at Verulamium, being one of their chief
towns in Britain; Watling Street passed through it, and roads
branched out all round. In the year 61, Boadicea, at the head
of a number of British savages, captured this town and slaughtered
the population. By the Romans, Herts was included in the
province of Flavia Caesariensis: they had stations at Ad Fine, or
Ermine Street (probably at Braughing), and at Bishop Stortford,
Royston and Cheshunt; on Icknield Street, at Wilbury Hill, they had
On the English taking the county it seems to have first formed a
Commonwealth under the name of the North Saxons, and was afterwards
shared between the kingdoms of Essex, or the East Saxons, and
Mercia, or the Mid-English; and it is thought the late boundary
between the dioceses of London and Lincoln formed the boundary of
the kingdom. The English settlers were mostly of the same
clans as those in Middlesex and Essex. The great kings of the
Middle English dwelt in the shire: it is remarkable for the number
of “buries,” shewing it was thickly settled by the English.
There is a “bury” in each township, commonly a mile away from the
old homestead, now the town or hamlet. In 896 a severe contest
took place in the county between King Alfred and the Danes. In the
wars of the Roses three great battles were fought here: in 1455 at
St. Albans, when the Lancastrians were vanquished; in 1461 at St.
Albans, when the Yorkists were overthrown; and in 1468 at Barnet,
when the Lancastrians were defeated.
The district is undulating, but can hardly be said to partake of a
hilly character, the greatest rise being in the chalk downs, about
908 feet high: these chalk downs are the continuation of the
Chiltern hills, and bound the shire to the extreme north. The
climate is mild, and the country being well wooded and tilled, is
picturesque. The mineral characteristics of the district are
neither varied nor important; the only minerals raised in 1912 was
21,366 tons of chalk, 11,186 tons of brick clay, 154,593 tons of
gravel and sand and 977 tons of flints &c. The medicinal
springs are few; they are at Barnet, Cuffley, near Northaw, Welwyn
and Hemel Hempstead. Chalk is burnt for lime, and bricks are
The county is well watered by numerous and navigable streams, on
which are many mills. The rivers are principally small feeders
of the Themes, except those in the north, which flow towards the
Ouse. The Stort forms the south-east boundary for a
considerable distance, being navigable through that length, and
passes by Bishop Stortford and Sawbridgeworth to join the Lee, which
river traverses the county from west to east, rising at Leagrave, in
Bedfordshire, and pursuing a total course, till its junction with
the Thames, of 50 miles; it is navigable at Hertford; entering the
shire near Harpenden, it passes near Hatfield to below
Hertingfordbury, where it receives the Maren or Mimram, a mill
stream; at Hertford it receives the Beane, a mill stream, ﬂowing
from north to south, and soon after the Rib, also ﬂowing from north
to south turning many mills, receiving the Quin, and passing
Buntingford; the Lee next receives the Ash, and ultimately the Stort,
and pursues its navigable course along the eastern border of the
county by Hoddesdon to Waltham Abbey. The management of the
navigable river Lee is vested in trustees under several Acts of
Parliament; the funds, which are considerable, arising from tolls,
are wholly laid. out in the improvement and maintenance of the
navigation; in 1850 a Bill was passed for improving this navigation.
The Colne, the other chief river of the south, rises near Hatﬁeld,
and proceeds to Colney Street, where it receives a small brook; and
a little lower down takes in the Verlam, which passes by St. Albans,
turning some mills: it then passes Watford, and receives the Gade,
which is fed by the Bulbourne from Berkhamsted, and passing
Rickmansworth receives the Chess, thence ﬂowing into Middlesex.
The Grade and the Lower Colne are nearly absorbed by the Grand
Junction Canal. Some of the head springs of the Thame rise
near Tring. The Ivel rises at Baldock, and a feeder of it near
Hexton. The Hiz, passing near Hitchin, the Oughten and the
Pirral, are feeders of the Ouse, ﬂowing north into Bedfordshire, and
are inconsiderable streams. The Rhea, or Rhee, rises near
Ashwell, and is a feeder of the Cam.
The New River is an artificial cut, made to convey water to London;
it was begun in 1608, and runs along the valley of the Lee, taking
its chief supplies from Amwell and Chedwell, two springs near
The Grand Junction Canal comes into
Hertfordshire near Tring, and soon enters the valley of the Gade,
and afterwards that of the Colne, which it follows through Middlesex
to West Drayton, passing by Tring, Berkhamsted, Hemel Hempstead,
Watford and Rickmansworth, with branches to
Wendover. [Ed. − by
1914 the Wendover branch was mostly abandoned]
Four main lines, belonging to as many large companies, pass through
the county from south to north, viz., the London and North-Western
on the western border, the Midland through the mid-west portion, the
Great Northern through the centre, and the Great Eastern along the
The London and North-Western enters the county at a point south of
Watford, from which station a branch goes off westward to
Rickmansworth and one north-east to St. Albans, the main line
continuing through Berkhampstead, Tring to Rugby and the North.
The Midland enters the county at Elstree, passes through St. Albans,
and leaves the county again a little north of Harpenden, where a
branch goes south-west to Hemel Hempstead, the main line continuing
on via Luton to the North. The Midland has also a line from
Hitchin, via Shefford, to Bedford.
The Great Northern enters the county close to Brockman Park, running
to Hatfield, whence branches go west to Sb. Albans, east to Hertford
and north-west through Harpenden to Luton and Dunstable, the main
line continuing through Welwyn, Stevenage and Hitchin, and leaving
the county near Ickleford; from Hitchin, a branch runs to Cambridge
through Baldock and Royston; a branch from the Suburban lines of
this company goes to High Barnet.
The Great Eastern railway enters the county near Waltham Abbey, and
skirts the eastern border, sending off a branch below Rye House to
Hertford and Ware, from which another branch runs off at St.
Margarets to Buntingford, while the main line continues by
Sawbridgeworth and Bishop Stortford to Cambridge,
Hertfordshire is most known for its husbandry, and for the growth of
the best white wheat; the shire yields, besides grain, turnips,
vegetables and hay for the London market, also apples, cherries,
currants and strawberries. There is a good deal of coppice and
wood. The nurseries are famous for the growth of roses, which
carry off a great many of the prizes in London. Many cattle,
sheep, pigs and poultry are fed for London.
The manufactures are — straw plait, silk and paper. The malt
trade, brewing, tanning, carrying, brick, tile and pipe making;
canvas making and weaving and coach making are carried on. The
number of millers is large.
The county is in the South Eastern Circuit. There was formerly
a separate commission of the peace for St. Alban liberty, but by the
County of Hartford and Liberty of St. Albans Act, 1874, the county
was arranged in two divisions, the eastern called the Hertford
(comprising 10 petty sessional divisions), and the western the
liberty of St. Albans division (comprising 4 petty sessional
divisions), but these divisions have been abolished and the county
now comprises 15 petty sessional divisions, viz.:—Albury (sittings
at Much Hadham), Barnet, Bishop Stortford, Buntingford, Cheshunt,
Dacoroum (sittings at Great Berkhamsted, Hemel Hempstead and
Markyate), Hatfield, Hertford, Hitchin, Odsey (sittings at Royston),
St. Albans, Stevenage (sittings at Stevenage and Watton), Ware,
Watford (sittings at Watford and Rickmansworth) and Welwyn. NOTE :—
Unless otherwise stated the sittings are held at the place giving
name to the division.
The prison at St. Albans is the county prison; courts of quarter
sessions are held at Hertford and St. Albans, the Epiphany and
Midsummer adjourned sessions at Hertford and the Easter and
Michaelmas adjourned sessions at St. Albans. The County Courts
(circuits 35, 37 and 38) are held at Bishop Stortford, Hitchin,
Royston, Barnet, St. Albans, Watford and Hertford. There are
seven Coroner’s districts — Bishop Stortford, Hemel Hempstead,
Hertford, Hitchin, Royston, St. Albans and Watford. The shire
contains 160 civil parishes, and forms the archdeaconry of St.
Albans, in the diocese of St. Albans and province of Canterbury, and
is divided into the following rural deaneries:— Baldock, Barnet,
Bennington, Berkhamsted, Bishop Stortford, Buntingford, Hertford,
Hitchin, St, Albans, Ware, Watford, and Welwyn.
St. Albans, which has been erected into a Cathedral City, had a
population in 1911 of 18,133. Hertford is a municipal borough,
population 10,383; also Hemel Hempstead, population 12,888.
The other towns are Baldock, population, 2,094; Barnet, 10,440;
Berkhamsted, 7,302; Bishop Stortford, 8,721; Cheshunt, 12,954;
Hitchin, 11,905; Hoddesdon, 5,196; Rickmansworth, 6,288; Royston,
3,985; Sawbridgeworth, 2,304.; Stevenage, 4,856; Tring, 4,481; Ware,
5,842; Watford, 40,939, Hatfield, 5306; Welwyn, 1,708.
The Registration Districts are :—
The Hertford County Hospital, erected in 1832, is a stuccoed
brick building in the North road, Hertford; it was enlarged and
thoroughly repaired in 1878, at a cost of about £3,000, further
enlarged in 1895 and again in 1903, and has now beds for 56
patients; the chapel adjoining was erected for the use of the
inmates at the sole cost of the late Robert Smith esq. the expense
amounting to £500; John Tasker Tasker-Evans M.D., C.M.Lond.,
M.R.C.S.Eng. hon. consulting medical ofﬁcer; Charles Edward Shelly
M.D.Camb., M.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. Robert Odell M.D. Durh.,
F.R.C.S.Edin., L.R.C.P. James Burnett-Smith M.B., C.M.Edin., L.R.C.P.
& S.Edin. and Walter Grahame Stewart M.B., B.S.Lond., M.B.C.S.Eng.,
L.R.C.P.Lond. hon. medical officers; Charles Lawson Smith M.B.,
Ch.B.Aberd. Gurth Eager M.B.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. and William
Howard Sturge M.D.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. hon. assistant
medical officers; Alfred Dinnis L.D.S.R.C.S.Eng. hon. dentist;
William Joseph Teil Kimber M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. house
surgeon; Albert Stoddert, sec.; Rev. Nathan Thomas Gardner,
chaplain; Miss M. Sawle, matron.
The North Herts and South Beds Hospital at Hitchin was
established in 1840, and has 22 beds and 4 cots; during the year
1913 there were 243 in-patients and 1,494 out-patients; W. Tindal
Lucas esq. J.P. treasurer; Oswald Henry Foster M.A., M.B.Cantab,
M.R.C.S.Eng. and Charles John Grellet M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond.
hon. consulting medical officers; James Henry Gilbertson M.R.C.S.Eng.,
L.R.C.P.Lond. Arthur Herbert Foster M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond.
William Pennington Grellet L.R.C.P. and S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S. Glas.
Harold Rawdon Grellet L.S.A.Lond. and Clifford Pendrell Charles
M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. hon. medical officers; Edouard John
Blair: L.D.S.Eng. hon. dental surgeon; L. Thompson, hon. secretary;
Miss G. Hall, matron.
The West Herts Hospital at Hemel Hempstead, founded in 1826,
was rebuilt in 1875-1877, from designs by Messrs. Coe and Robinson,
of Furnival’s inn, at a cost of £14,000: the site adjoining the old
building, erected in 1831, enlarged in 1863, slopes rapidly to the
west, being sheltered by hills on the north and east: the building,
opened in November, 1877, by H.R.H. the late Duchess of Teck, is a
structure of Cowley brick, with red bands and Ancaster stone
dressings, and is in the Italian style, and forms three blocks; the
centre is devoted to the administrative department and dwellings for
the resident officers, operating room, and rooms for out-patients;
the two wings are occupied by the in-patients, for whom there are 50
beds; new bath rooms were built and other improvements have been
made at a cost of £600. Humphry Davy Rolleston M.D.Camb.,
F.R.C.P.Lond. and Richard Legg Batterbury M.D.Lond. consulting
physicians; William Henry Hobson M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Edin., A. E.
J. Barker F.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Irel. and Maitand Thompson
M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Edin. consulting surgeons; F. C. Fisher
F.R.C.S.Eng. Sidney Algernon Bontor M.D., M.S.Durh., Wilfred
Watkinson Holtzmann M.A., M.B., B.C.Camb., F.R.C.S.Eng. and Ernest
William Gilroy M.D., B.S.Durh. hon. surgeons; William Thomas Dean
L.D.S.Eng. dental surgeon; Stanley Murray Wilcox M.R.C.S.Eng.,
L.R.C.P.Lond. resident medical officer; Thomas Ormanby, hon.
secretary; Robert L. Buterﬁeld, clerk; Miss E. Sempill, matron.
St. Albans Hospital and Mid Herts Hospital and Dispensary,
situated in Verulam road. St. Albans, is a commodious building,
erected by subscription in the year 1888, at a cost of £4,000, and
is open for out-patients on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays; it
has now 24 beds and 9 cots; the dispensary was established in 1843
and the original hospital in 1870; the number of in-patients in 1913
was 272 and of out-patients 730; Louis Albert Dunn M.B., M.S.Lond.,
F.R.C.S.Eng., L.S.A. hon. consulting surgeon; H. Leslie Bates
M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond., A. H. Boys L.R.C.P.Edin., M.R.C.S.Eng.,
Edgar Henry Lipscomb B.A., M.B., B.C.Camb., M.R.C.S.Eng.,
L.R.C.P.Lond. Thomas Peter Grosart Wells L.R.C.P. and S.Edin., L.F.P.
and S.Glas. Henry Ernest May M.A., M.B., B.C. Cantab. and James
Johnston Smith M.B., Ch.B.Glas. hon. medical officers; T. E. Eachus,
hon. radioscopist; Cecil Gilbert Pears L.D.S.R.C.S.Eng.
surgeon-dentist; W. G. Marshall, secretary; Charles J. Part, hon.
treasurer; Frederick William Fox, dispenser; Mrs. Majorie Macdonald,
The Hertfordshire Seaside Convalescent Home is at Bo-peep,
St. Leonards, Sussex, and is for the reception of Hertfordshire
patients; in 1880 the resources of the Home were increased by the
erection of buildings for 56 patients, the cost of which amounted to
£9,894; it affords room for 67 patients; the Home is wholly
sustained by county subscriptions; there is also a new wing for
A Reformatory Institution for the county, at Crouch Field,
near Chapmore End, Bengeo, was built by the late Abel Smith esq. in
1857, and certified November 10, 1857; it is a commodious building,
and is capable of holding 100 boys, who are educated and employed in
cultivating 75 acres of surrounding land; it is supported by a
grant, payments from the local authorities sending boys, and the
labour of the inmates; Ishmael A. Fish, superintendent; Mrs. Fish,
The Boys’ Farm Home, Church farm, East Barnet, was founded in
1860 for the training, maintenance and education of destitute boys
not convicted of crime; it was certified June 4, 1863 and Sept. 15,
1904, for 90 boys, and in 1914 there were 90 boys; the Home occupies
43 acres, 33 in pasture the rest arable or market garden; Arthur
Glaisby, hon. secretary; Rev. Frank K. Wood M.A. superintendent
secretary and chaplain; S. L. Whitmore, master; Mrs. Podgee, matron.
The Lunatic Asylum, for three counties, Hunts, Beds, and
Herts, is at Stotfold, in Bedfordshire.
Herts County Asylum, Hill End, St. Albans, was erected by the
Hertford County Council for patients belonging to the unions in the
county: two new wings were added in 1908, and the asylum now
provides for 820 patients; the estate comprises about 215 acres, and
adjoins Hill End station, on the Hatfield and St. Albans branch of
the Great Northern railway; A. Norman Boycott M.D.Lond. medical
superintendent; J. Grimmond Smith M.D.Edin. sen. assistant medical
officer; Charles Averill M.D. junior assistant medical officer; Rev.
Alexander John Barff B.A. chaplain; George Goodchild, clerk and
steward; Sir Charles Elton Longmore K.C.B. Hertford, clerk to the
His Majesty’s Prison at St. Albans, a structure of red brick,
was erected in 1866, at a cost of about £20,000, and will hold 112
prisoners; there are houses for the governor and warders, and a
spacious chapel on the north side; Alfred Hughesdon, governor;
Eustace Henry Lipscomb B.A., M.B., B.C.Camb., M.R.C.S.Eng.,
L.R.C.P.Lond. medical officer; Rev. Frederick Robinson M.A.
chaplain; Robert Peters, clerk and schoolmaster; William Whitehorn,